• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'95 XJ; Front End Issues

rescuejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have this problem with my '95 XJ, and I know it's a front end issue, but not really sure what parts are affected? It is all stock, no suspension mods.

It drives/steers fine, but around the 50 mph range I get this awful shake fron the front end, and the passengers seat also shakes as well? Tires are in decent shape, and the allignment seems to be fine as indicated by equal tire wear and no pulling to one side.

Wheel balance? Ball joints? Hubs?

Jack the front end up and grasp the tire on the top and bottom and try to "rock" it. If there is any play at all, your ball joints or hubs are failing. Wheel balancing is cheap.

Or it could be the front driveshaft going out on you.

"Decent shape" and "alignment seems fine" are not good indicators.

If by "awful shake" you mean that the steering wheel wants to jump out of your hands while your butt sucks the seat in, then you need to do some searches on "Death Wobble"

I really don't think I can call it death wobble, the steering wheel really does not shake, it shakes up front normally if the roadway is not 100% flat. When driving and I go over some kind of rut or bump in the road it really shakes.

Again it only happens around the 50mph range, anything under that it drives normal.

rescuejeeper said:
I really don't think I can call it death wobble, the steering wheel really does not shake, it shakes up front normally if the roadway is not 100% flat. When driving and I go over some kind of rut or bump in the road it really shakes.

Again it only happens around the 50mph range, anything under that it drives normal.
I think that is death wobble. Time to get down there and look hard at everything.

if it is very consistently shaking at about 50mph, then it seems like tires. this has been my experience. everytime i have had shakes at a certain speed (45-55) and then it goes away faster or slower it was tires

death wobble doesnt get triggered by speed, but by bumps that the jeep cannot recover from and stabilize. everytime i had death wobble it was from LCA bushings and hitting potholes.

-Tim

I agree with jeepnuts, if it's stock you should be able to chase this problem down quick just by jacking up the front end and moving everything around. wiggle the tires up and down and back and forth. before doing that though I would check out the control arms. Once the bushings wear it will allow your axle to move around a lot causing your death wobble. I define death wobble as a wobble so bad you hit the brakes to stop it. there is no trying to go faster to get through it just hit the brakes while you can still hold on to the steering wheel!!!

Ditto, check the lug nuts. Jack it up and spin the wheels and listen to the bearings talk. Wiggle them up and down too talk to the ball joints. Talk to all the bushing and tie rods and drink a beer with each one too. After a 12 pack you may come to understand you XJ and what it wants. Good luck talking with your Jeep XJ.

If that doesn't work take it to a shop. For not to much more than a 12 pack they can tell you what the Jeep needs.

Back