• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar is strip

mateoruiziii

NAXJA Forum User
I had some death wooble this week. So I had my brother turn the wheel while I look at the steering and see where there is play. I found that it is loose at the top off the trackbar on the frame side. While turning the nut I notice it was loose. While remove it I found out the bolt is strip. It is just turning but not getting looser or tighter. How do I remove it? Its a roughcountry adjustable trackbar.

my idea is get a sawzall but its a tight fit. get a cut off wheel and grind/cut the head off. then use something about the same diamiter to knock it out. if it doesnt have pressure on it then use the new bolt to pust it out the top from the bottom.

if you have the one that looks like a tie rod then you will have to replace the whole end. give then a call and they'll get you fixed up.

put pressure on the bottom of the TRE at the frame end of the TB. using a jack seems to work well for me in the past. the pressure will press the taper of the tre into the frame side bracket and allow you to turn the nut and not the tre. you did remove the cotter pin right?

I'm thinking the ball is rotating inside the rod end. Like was mentioned put some pressure downward on the rod end and see if the nut will come off. You might also try putting a side load on it. If that doesn't work, you might have to cut the rod end apart and hold the ball with vise grips to remove the nut then replace the rod end.

throw that crap thing away. They have a very short life if any real wheeling is done. We went through 3 ends in less than 4 months on 31's and not any crazy wheeling. upgrade! Even my light duty rubicon trac bar lasted three years before any play. You can unbolt the mount bracket from the jeep take it out as a unit bracket and all and get at it better with a torch or what have you If you have no luck on vehicle

this one is much better http://www.xtremeterrain.com/jeepxjadjustablefronttrackbarbyroughcountry.aspx

Yes I did remove the pin. Thats good advice about jacking it up. I will try that in the morning. Also the bar came with the kit. Its only been 8 month new. I do wheel hard with 35s.

it's not so bad, i wheeled the dog crap outta mine with that tracbar, and after a year, i had to replace the tre, and it was good after that. now the tracbar is on my buddy's jeep, and he hasn't had any trouble either. sometimes parts wear out. get a MOOG TRE from o'reilly's or somewhere like that. they are stronger, and have a lifetime warranty.

Ya once you get it off, if you want to stay cheap just pull out the end and get a new end. they should have HD TRE's at any local 4wheel shop their usually like 30$. I got a rusty's adj right now on my 4th year been thru 4 tie rod ends that have broken as a result of death wobble after a day of wheeling. Which is why im on here now doing some research on what track bar is best. Im leaning towards the HD Rough Country that userbmx1315 posted.

I have the same problem as you with the track bar. My track bar is also rough country, i have had nothing but problems with rough country. That same joint on my track bar has broken 4 times already, so i found a way to modify it. What I did was unscrewed the old joint from the track bar and found a jimmy joint that will thread into the track bar. I think its called a jimmy joint. Then i trilled the hole on the bracked that is attached to the frame big enough to get a thick bolt through it that will fit snug into the jimmy joint and i put a washer and bold on the other end. Below is a picture of the joint im talking about. Ill try and get a picture of my set up for you tomorrow morning.
RC-FRE_03.jpg

Back