• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed WJ knuckles on MJ have ?s

comancheon33

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the knuckles and brakes installed today. Gonna install my 96 booster and master tomorrow. After the brakes are back up and working I put it on the alignment rack @ work and set the toe.
I used the JKS draglink and tierod with WJ TREs. I am planning on using Goferit inserts to flip the the tie rods to keep the clearence between my steering and solid axle diff cover that will be installed soon. Plus I still need to figure out which over the axle bracket I want to use to move the track bar up. Anyways on to my questions.
My comanche has a TNT Y link with around 7.5 inches of lift. With the draglink currently under the knuckle the angle of the draglink in a word sucks. I am on the fence of what to do. I know I could put an insert in there with a RHD draglink end and go that route but I am not impressed with the degree of movement in the WJ TREs.
The second option would be to use Chevy TREs. Get some jam nuts and weld in bungs and a reamer. This is uncharted waters for me. Don't get me wrong I know how to weld and have a more than capable welder (Miller 210) and the ability to fab but I am lost at the right place to get the parts needed.
To do this upgrade I just removed my Rockklawler X factor steering. I never had a problem with the heim joints but I like the ability to walk in to about any parts store and get a new rod end if needed. I guess what I am looking for what others have done and how well it worked and if there is anything you would do different if you were to do it again. I looked through the search options and couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for any opinions or ideas you may have. Sorry for the long drug out post.

I reamed my WJ knuckles from the top down for Chevy 1 ton rod ends and used 1/4" DOM tubing made up from me from Sky's Offroad Design. It was stout and I had no issues.

With 6" RE front springs and a ZJ pitman arm, my angles were pretty good.

DSC05355.jpg

Your angles do look real good compared to mine currently. I dug around and found weld in inserts and jam nuts from RuffStuff. I ordered my tapered reamer from the snap on dealer today. Plus I am going to keep the WJ tie rods ends and get some Goferit inserts. Did you predrill the holes out before you tapered them?

I will be going with the JKS bracket also. Then I will fab my own track bar. I currently run a Rockkrawler track bar and will be reusing the body side bracket. I gotta get my steering angles figured first so I can get the angles right to keep bumpsteer as slight as possible.

Your angles do look real good compared to mine currently. I dug around and found weld in inserts and jam nuts from RuffStuff. I ordered my tapered reamer from the snap on dealer today. Plus I am going to keep the WJ tie rods ends and get some Goferit inserts. Did you predrill the holes out before you tapered them?

If your using the inserts, you don't need a reamer, just a 3/4 drill bit. Tera flex makes a better insert/sleeve than goferits. But your better off using hiems from ruff stuff. Just drill out your knuckles to 11/16, and tap them for 3/4-16 bolt.

I will need inserts for the tie rod as I am keeping the WJ TREs. On the draglink I am planning on one ton TREs since they are cheap and available at about any parts store. Since I am gonna use TREs instead of heims I will need to taper the RH knuckle and pitman arm.

Back