• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick distributor question

AtomicPunk

NAXJA Forum User
Other than the electronics, are the housings the same for the pre 96' distributors as they are for the post 96' distributors? What I'm basically wondering is can I take the internals from a newer model and use them in the distributor housing on an ealier model, placing the whole thing on my 98' cherokee?

I thought they were, but on rockauto.com there are different part numbers for the distributors w/o modules between the years.

their definition of "without module" comes directly from A1 Cardone (the remanufacturer)-- it just means that there is no ignition control module included with the distributor (not that there is one in any of them, anywho)

I haven't tried to change the "guts" from one to the other, but I don't believe there is any difference between any of them.

There may be a difference in the wire plug ends.
I have both a 96 and a 98 in my junk, I.ll look>.

Wayne

Other than the electronics, are the housings the same

there are definitely differences in the electronics between the model years, I was only speaking to the distributor housings and their apparent similarity.

Ok, the wire ends are different.The pick-up plate,sensor, ect, look identical.

Wayne

Ok, the wire ends are different.The pick-up plate,sensor, ect, look identical.

Wayne

far as I can tell- post Renix pick-ups function the same, so any change would be in the plug. Renix, however, I don't think they would be interchangeable even with a plug splice.

Housings still appear to be the same, you would just need to change everything inside of them.

Thank you guys, that's perfect, all of the junkyard jeeps are pre 96' here it seems. I'm gonna pick up a distributor housing on half price day here and swap my internals into it. Thanks.

Back