• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy police version cb radio an pa system

pyrothugg

NAXJA Forum User
okay so im not quite sure what part of the forum this fits under so if the mods could move it if its in the wrong place id appreciate it. heres what i want to know. The police and medical community have cb's that get much better distance then i can see to get out of any cb. does anybody know what kind police are using and where i can get one. also do i need a certain type of antennae. ie police dont use whips. also if i buy this will i be able to send and recieve on all channels that other wheelers will be on. lastly what pa system are the police using id like to put one of them in my rig. what wattage, type, etc. lastly how much am i looking at spending to get either of these or both of them.

Lol

Police, fire and EMS do not use CBs. We use VHF and 800 MHz radios. Installing one in your vehicle without being a LEO or Vol. Fire is illegal.

You can have your CB tuned to send/receive better, look up your local truck stop and ask if they offer CB tuning services.

Nominated.

Police, fire and EMS do not use CBs. We use VHF and 800 MHz radios. Installing one in your vehicle without being a LEO or Vol. Fire is illegal.

You can have your CB tuned to send/receive better, look up your local truck stop and ask if they offer CB tuning services.

Nominated.

Wow, even got Byron in on this!

While you are at it put 2 6ft anntenas on it and run a 7 inch stack through the roof. Don't forget your Fox racing decal that takes up half of the rear window. Oh wait thats for the little rich kids that run around here in their 50k dollar truck that their parents bought them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nominated.

I think to be more specific, it is not illegal to have these radios installed in your vehicle as long as the transmitting on police, fire, ems and commercial frequencies are disabled. You can buy amateur mobile 2m radios (ham) and legally install them. These radios can receive all the frequencies but can only transmit on amateur frequencies without a radio mod. Many of these frequencies are commercial band and companys pay to have there own freq.

In CA that may be the case, but in Indiana is is illegal to transmit and receive on those channels. This applies to scanners as well.

In CA that may be the case, but in Indiana is is illegal to transmit and receive on those channels. This applies to scanners as well.

Thats what I have always heard too. pyrothugg, why do you need this anyways?

i dont want it to listen to ems or anything i just want the distance that ems seems to get thats all. when i travel with my family and stuff we usually get seperated because my dumb uncle likes to drive over 100 and lets just say my rig cant physically do that being lifted and such. so i want to be able to reach him on cb incase i get lost or just to talk and what not. also would like it for on the trail for extra range in-case its needed. plus id like to talk to my dad and my friends when they are doing runs in the dump truck up at the cabin from my jeep when im on the trail. im not trying to do anything illegal its just i didnt know about these linear -amplifiers and stuff and thought u guys might know about them and where to get them thats all. you dont have to act like little pricks i just asked a simple question. to the people who gave and continue to give decent answers thanks but for those who just want to rag on me...get a life and grow up.

btw i know a dumbass with humvee antennas on his rig they are like 9 ft whips and yeah they are gay as hell anyone at the york jeepshow saw him. rag on him not me im not doing something stupid like that infact i want to get away from the look of whips and i want a little inconspicuous antennae like cops have.

Cell phones seem to work most places. Let the phone co. do the hard part!

The journey IS the best part, going faster always misses some good stuff.

Relax, enjoy life.

Orange

I think its governed by federal law that covers all 50 states by the fcc.

Hmm let me clarify it is always illegal to transmit on police fire etc. It is legal to have a scanner that can recieve a range of frequencies as well as police etc as long as there is no decryption. There is one caveat that you need a amateur radio license, but it is not illegal to have or use according to the fcc rules.

Heres the specific Indiana Code 35-44-3:

IC 35-44-3-12
Unlawful use of a police radio; exemptions; "police radio" defined
Sec. 12. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:

(1) possesses a police radio;
(2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
(3) possesses or uses a police radio:
(A) while committing a crime;
(B) to further the commission of a crime; or
(C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
(1) a governmental entity;
(2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
(3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
(4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
(5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
(6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
(7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or place of business;
(8) a person:
(A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
(B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive legal advertisements under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a licensed commercial or public radio or television station; and
(C) whose name is furnished by his employer to the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency in the county

Last edited:
CB probably will NOT work in those conditions.
If you wish to try - It will mainly be the Antenna, a long whip with a real good tune MIGHT work part of the time. Each radio setup and antenna is unique and has to be adjusted for peak performance, so have to use same antenna/ radio setup or retune if changed.

Back