• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC9YC vs. RC9YC4: Should there be a gap difference??

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Ran down to NAPA to get a couple of spark plugs, as two of the six sent to me from an online order were the incorrect plugs. NAPA informs me that the Champion RC9YC (part #344) has been replaced by the RC9YC4 (part #430). I always check them, but the gap pre set by Champion is usually extremely close if not spot on to the .035" gap called for by the FSM. However, the pre set gap of the latter is quite a bit larger than the .035" of the RC9YC. Does anyone know if the gap of the newer RC9YC4 is supposed to be the same as the earlier model? I searched but couldn't find anything. NAPA didn't have an answer. What is the difference between the two plugs?

Last edited:
Ran down to NAPA to get a couple of spark plugs, as two of the six sent to me from an online order were the incorrect plugs. NAPA informs me that the Champion RC9YC (part #344) has been replaced by the RC9YC4 (part #430). I always check them, but the gap pre set by Champion is usually extremely close if not spot on to the .035" gap called for by the FSM. However, the pre set gap of the latter is quite a bit larger than the .035" of the RC9YC. Does anyone know if the gap of the newer RC9YC4 is supposed to be the same as the earlier model? I searched but couldn't find anything. NAPA didn't have an answer. What is the difference between the two plugs?

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411_manufacturer.asp?manufacturerID=2

The 4 is the same plug, just the large gap version. Napa is wrong, take them back and go elsewhere. I have experience with normal and large gap plugs where I work. They will work if regapped, but you are paying money to a retailer for the correct product for your application, don't live with their mistake, let THEM live with it by giving it back to them and spending your money where they know what they are doing.

Thanks, I did go to Autozone and get a couple of the correct plugs.

Now that's backwards from my experiences. Autozone never has the right part, insists that the wrong part is the one you want even though it looks physically different than the one in your hand, and generally like to sell the low end crap quality.

The NAPAs around me have excellent staff who are pretty knowledgeable and get you the right part every time. They are a tad more expensive, but I prefer the better quality and service.

NAPA or locally my Independent Auto Parts Association (IIRC) are way better than the big chain superstores like Autozone. I often buy from the little place just to try to keep them in business. They have more extensive parts and knowledge. If they disaappear, we are stuck with only the big chains.

I'll agree that there was a time when NAPA had the better parts and the better service. Most of their parts are made overseas now, thus lower quality. As far as the service is concerned, I was speaking of the individual store, not all NAPAs everywhere. I had a NAPA very close to my house that had terrible customer service, they ended up closing.

You know there are tards everywhere. Dealers at least have a better chance (eliminating tards) of getting parts right because of a better catalog. I never trust someone to tell me. I do my own research. I love it when I ask for something (it was fuel injection clamps the other day at Autozone) and they point to screw clamps and say that's all I got. So you walk around a bit and find them in the Help section, LOL.

Some of my favorites are when they ask you questions about options that weren't even on the year your working on.

Back