• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob help. Tell me about this rig...please.

pissyellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, first post so be easy on me.

Need some advice on a rig I'm looking at buying, what I need/should do to it if I end up buying it.

Please don't hold back, tell me what you think the good/bad is.

Would be using the Jeep for DD use and occasional/weekend wheeling.

Not gonna be crawling huge rocks etc., but will come in contact with a few I will need to wheel over.

No Moab trails.

Live in MN so lots of woods style trails/parks.

Here is what I know about it.

2001 XJ 4.0l (w/ the iffy 030 head)

98,000 miles

AW4

Axles are Dana 30, 35

Stock 3.73 gears (selling with 4.88's, not installed)

Rough Country 6.5 Lift (Pretty sure it's this one, not a long arm kit)-http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_6x.html

35x12.5x15 Radials (Swap to a 33?)

Front winch bumper w/Mile Marker 9k winch

No SYE, No skids, No sway bar disconnects

Has Roof rack w/4 lights, stock rear spare tire carrier(from a wrangler?)

Bushwacker Flares, CB w/antenna, Hi-lift w/mount, shovel w/mount

Guy is asking $6700.00

I read a whole bunch of stuff on how shitty the 30 and 35 axles are.

Should I start looking for a Ford 9in./8.8/etc. for the the rear?

Also on gear selection.

Think the 4.88 with 35's will get "ok" mpg's for a DD?

Think I should downsize to 33/32 if I do end up buying it?

Anything else you guys can think of just ask/say/tell/teach... I'll try and answer asap.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

Ditch the d35, I run a ford 8.8 with Dutchman alloy shafts as well as a number of other upgrades. If you end up building one a Superior Super 8.8 kit is the best way to go to make a bulletproof rearend.

-Alex

Sounds like he built it for looks, not function, but it also sounds like you've got a good handle on how to remedy that.

I'd just say it sounds a bit pricey. I don't think I'd want to pay more thank 5k for that XJ, but prices may be different around you.

Justin

It sounds like a good start for a crawler, but a daily driver... My opinion (fwiw) a DD xj shouldn't have bigger than 31s. The brakes aren't enough for that big of tire, neither is the steering. If you are going for a daily driver look for a stock xj. That's what I would tell my friend, my son or my wife. I also realize us jeep guys ARE a different breed, and looks of our rigs is part of driving/ building one, but I know I wouldn't drive 35s on the street. Maximum of 32's or 33's.

i would go 4:56s with the 35s if your gonna daily drive it. definitely ditch that dana35 with those 35s. i would also get rid of that lp30 in the front. your definitely gonna need a sye. i dont know how he got away without having one on an 01 with that much lift. tell you the truth i wouldnt pay that much for something that would need so much. 0331 head casting is scary too

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ok, so with a bit of modification the thing would be ok I'm guessing.

Maybe buy a sye, sell the 35's, get 33/32's, save up for the long arm upgrade of some sort?

Wondering if buying a less modified one and building it up myself wouldn't be better?

Hard to find a well built Jeep for around that price.

Right now I DD a 92 4runner, 6 in. of lift, 35's. I only drive 15 miles to work so it's not a big deal for me.

More worried about mpg's, and things that I will need to replace to make it more reliable.

So the question is, is it worth the money or find something else??

Answer away...

i would go 4:56s with the 35s if your gonna daily drive it. definitely ditch that dana35 with those 35s. i would also get rid of that lp30 in the front. your definitely gonna need a sye. i dont know how he got away without having one on an 01 with that much lift. tell you the truth i wouldnt pay that much for something that would need so much. 0331 head casting is scary too

Think he dropped the transfer case to get around the sye.

I hear ya, after spending $500 or so on a better head, $200 or less for a sye, ditching the 4.88's for 4.56's, different axles $400+, looks like I'd be spending damn near 10k give or take(including the price of the Jeep), when all is said and done.

If I bought a close to stocker with the better head, 8.25 rear axle, guess I could build one for cheaper than that with a better setup/lift huh?

Personally, I would look for a near stock XJ to build up yourself. You don't know who installed the lift or other parts, if they did it right, etc. Find a 97-01 stock xj in decent shape with the 8.25 out back, install quality lift and other parts yourself, and go with 31's for a bada$$ daily driver/weekend warrior. You'll end up spending less money and be much more satisfied and confident in your XJ.

Sounds to me like the guy's got it priced to get his money back out of the parts he threw at his mall crawler. I think a more realistic price is 3500-4000, maybe less. Look for rust on the floorboards. They usually rust from the inside out(whoda' thought that!)so the bottom could be clean and the floors almost gone. You kind of have to pull up the carpet up and peak underneath if you can(look on the passenger side),
If it's clean(no rust, no damage)and you can get it for 4, go for it. You sell off his useless(to you) parts to do your own build.
If you're not doing rocks and/or deep mud, 31/33" tires with 3-4" lift should be ok, and the axles will live. A dana-44 or ford 8.8 swap is something you can look forward to(about the same time you re-gear/add lockers)

The 0331 head seems to have had a problem only in the '00 model year, and they figured out a fix it sometime in late 00/early 01. Whatever the problem was it only affected a small portion of the heads made, maybe less then 5%. Also, if the head is going to crack it usually happens before the motor hits 100K. Chances are the head in the '01 you're looking at is ok, or it would have blown by now.

Sounds to me like the guy's got it priced to get his money back out of the parts he threw at his mall crawler. I think a more realistic price is 3500-4000, maybe less.

x2, hes got all THE BOLTONS, with stock gears.

talk him down, as its lame with stock gears, you and him both know that.

or even better, walk away. this guy probably dont know much more than the quadratech phone number.

Think I am gonna pass on the jeep, thanks to your guys' help/advice.

Too much $ for too little Jeep.

Hard to find even a low mileage Jeep around here for less than 5k.

I appreciate it, I'll keep looking for my Jeep!

it comes down to do you want a rig 'LIKE THAT ONE'. personally, i dont! so i'd buy a stocker and build it myself (as ive done), but, thats a year long project, he's got a couple cool things, but is seriously lacking in the 'thought out modifications', things like gears and axle upgrades to handle those 35's he bought on impulse. that 35 is on borrowed time, and paying that much cash to have something that needs a bunch of stuff, is lame, dont do it.

The guy either knows whats up, or really thinks he's gonna get a 1-to-1 return on his hi-lift investments, dont buy! not at that price.

ive seen rock crawler xj's have trouble selling for less, DONT DO IT!

you should offer him half, using sye, dana 35, and gearing as reasons. =)
a friend talked down his xj because when he bought it the tires were rubbing out back, no chunking or cuts, but he had the upper hand for negotiations after proving he knows what to look for.

. Yeah if you do buy the jeep. And don't do the 4.88 gears all buy the dana 30 4.88 gears from you.

you should offer him half, using sye, dana 35, and gearing as reasons. =)

This is the truth. It sounds like a decent starting point, but needs lots of help (rear axle, upgraded steering, gearing, skid plates and SYE are the big ones). Drop the price almost in half and its a pretty fair deal.

Back