• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 bucking after long idle

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been doing a bunch of snowblowing lately and ive been keeping the rig running for a warm place, ( half hour to fourty min) when I get back in a and take off I find that thirty to fourty percent of the time I get a bucking on acceleration. If I hammer it down it seems to fix the problem.

Stock 98 sport 4.0, ax15, I used to have the same sort of problem in my s10 and figured it was the egr? does that sound logical? no codes thrown.
I do know that one of my o2 sensors has been snipped, I believe the cat forward?

No EGR on a 98.

Always a good time to review tuneup hardware when symptomatic. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

If you have an issue with an oxygen sensor, I'm not sure why you're not seeing a check engine light. Anyways, I'd resolve your oxygen sensor issue so the engine management system can work as designed.

Bucking is usually an O2 sensor. Before you can diagnose or solve any issues you need to make sure the O2 sensor is in working condition and is properly connected to the engine computer (PCM).

Once you have the O2 sensor issue resolved, if you still have the bucking, test the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) or simply replace it. A CTS that is slow to respond can cause a mild bucking/misfire type symptom.

P.O. deleted the sensor when they installed a new exhaust on the rig. I thought it was odd that there is no code thrown for a missing sensor, but to be honest this is the newest vehicle I have ever owned so, there are alot of computer things that mystify me. oh well more to learn.

Back