• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC Blower Motor Resistor Glowing.

rugidone

NAXJA Forum User
Found the instructions online to replace the thermal fuse on the pre-97 resistor, which I did tonight, plugged it in to test it before putting it all back together.

Anybody else done this, ever notice if its supposed to glow extremely red?

I did this on a 95 Sport by the way.

Any help would be great, it kinda seems like something would melt under there and am hesitating hooking it back up.

Did you replace the whole resistor pack, or part of it? I know that they will get very hot, but the air from the blower should cool it off. Does your blower motor come on? If it was shorted, then the resistor would definately get too hot and turn red.

As you probably know, the most likely reason the thermal fuse blows to start with is because the blower motor is on its way out and is drawing too much current. As 88 Wagonman says, the air flow is supposed to cool the resistor coils so you really can't test the unit by plugging it in outside of the housing. I would test the resistor pack with a meter if I had any question about continuity.

A blower motor that is failing will typically make some noise but may not do so or may make so little noise that you think it could not possibly be at fault in causing the thermal fuse to blow.

Back