• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94' fuel ine "O" rings?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I need to replace the "O" rings on the disconnect fittings on the fuel rail on my 94, but there is a plastic ring inside each one preventing me from getting the old rings out and putting the new ones in. Any tips or tricks on getting those plastic pieces out, and also which "O" ring set do I need from the dealer, I beleive there are several different kinds and they go by color codes.
Here is a pic of the pieces that I'm talking about, I've already mutalated the return line plastic piece trying to get it out. These are not made anything like my RENIX.
94fuellinesgz0.jpg

Well that would explain why I can't get the friggin' things out. Anybody got a part number for the two replacement lines?

Also why couldn't I just use Fuel Injection hose and some FI hose clamps if I wanted to save a few bucks? The only problem I see is the rings on the rail side on each nipple, it may be a little tough to get the hose to stetch and slide over those things.

xjtrailrider said:
Well that would explain why I can't get the friggin' things out. Anybody got a part number for the two replacement lines?

Also why couldn't I just use Fuel Injection hose and some FI hose clamps if I wanted to save a few bucks? The only problem I see is the rings on the rail side on each nipple, it may be a little tough to get the hose to stetch and slide over those things.

good point .. i dont see why you couldnt do it that way

prolly save ya a bunch of $$$$

You can get a rebuild kit from the dealer. It'll include the plastic clips that stay on the fuel rail, new o-rings and the plastic spacers. It's not expensive either, but i dont recall exactly how much.

Use a pick tool to remove the spacers and o-rings in the line....take note of which color oring goes towards the inside.

John B said:
You can get a rebuild kit from the dealer. It'll include the plastic clips that stay on the fuel rail, new o-rings and the plastic spacers. It's not expensive either, but i dont recall exactly how much.

Use a pick tool to remove the spacers and o-rings in the line....take note of which color oring goes towards the inside.
Ditto! It would be silly to replace the entire fuel lines.

A scribe works well at removing the old spacers and O-rings. You can get one at Harbor Freight and probably in the tool department at Sears.

John B said:

my local dealer wants $14 a piece...
i would eliminate the disconects for that kind of $$

I called the local dealer today and they do not list just the "O" ring kit for the 94', they only sell the lines. $40 for one line and $70 for the other, unlike my 90' which they carry the "O" ring kit for $12 each line. I've tried using a scribe to remove the black spacer shown that is in front of the "O" rings and have only destroyed them trying to get them out. They seem to be glued in somehow?

I may just have to make my own lines.

Contact Brian Moyer at Outten County Chrysler 610 - 562 - 5174

Brian is the parts manager at a Jeep dealership...and a wheeler. He'll hook you up.

ive been thinking about this post for a day or so and what it says in my Haynes repair book is

"Fuel line fitting replacement ( 1993 and earlier fuel injected vehicles)

it
mentions on paragraph 12
that a when you disconnect the quick connect fitting ....the retainer , the o rings, and spacer will come out of the fitting when you pull the fuel ine apart..

reading on to the 1994 and later models

it doesnt mention any thing about the o rings and spacer coming out..??

the way it reads in this manual is that they dont need to be replaced when they are disassembled ..i hav mine off and on several times and I have not had any leaks or loss in pressure in the fuel rail..

Thanks for the info VegasAnthony, I decided since I had already destroyed the fuel lines trying to get the "O" rings out and i also wound up with 3 stitches in my thumb from a scribe tool that slipped and sliced it, that I would just go ahead and replace the factory lines with fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps.

I took pics and plan on doing a write-up on the "Disconnect "O" ring Elimination on 94'-95' XJ's".

My "O" rings were shot and I would have had to replace them some how or another. The FI hoses and clamps were only $25 at the local Advance Auto and only took 30 min. to put in.

Back