• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Light Wiring

alopeks

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I've asked before, so now I'm asking for proof...

More than one person has told me that the wiring for the fog lights on my '99 XJ are built into every wiring harness, whether the Jeep came with lights from the factory or not (mine didn't), and they all seemed to agree that the wires would be tucked up somewhere near the battery tray. I've gone through everything, and I can't find them at all.

HELP!

I've got the switch, relays, and lights, but I can find the rest of the wiring. It's behind the dash, goes through the firewall, and then I'm stumped...

Anyone have pics?

-alopeks

On the pre-97, the wiring is all installed EXCEPT for possibly the harness in the header panel. I believe it is the same on the 97+ but I am not sure. The connector for the header panel harness is located below the air filter box and ECU on all model years though, as far as I know... I will see what I can figure out.

EDIT: looks like the header panel harness is even the same, at least on a 97. Looking in the 99 catalog now.

EDIT2: Same with the 99. Can't figure it out, man, I'm going to paste a screenshot of the picture, maybe you're looking in the wrong spot for the cables?

EDIT3: Rear view of the header panel - feel around behind the bumper in the middle and behind the bottom edge of the header panel after pulling off the grille, see if you can find the harness end connectors there:

(click for big image)

Last edited:
On pre '97, all wiring up to the radiator support 10 wire connector is in place. The header panel harness is what's different, with the one or two relays needed for foglights being part of that. Inside the cabin, the three conductor connector is clipped into the little panel with the rear defrost switch. I recently added the harness and switch to my '96, along with LED driving lights, and have the circuit wired to the 'citylights' in the Autopal headlight buckets. Gives it a kind of DRL look.

1997-2001 fog lamps are not plug and play with just a factory switch and some factory lamps. The non-fog lamp and fog lamp wire harnesses and Power Distribution Centers are different. The non-fog PDC does not have the contacts/relay socket for the factory fog lamp relay to plug into

There is a JEEP factory fog lamp retrofit kit that includes the intermediate wire harness to connect the switch and fog lamps. TeamCherokee.com used to stock it and I have seen them on eBay.

You can of course, use the factory fog lamp switch and a standard relay to install fog lamps using power wires you install yourself.

I woudl recommend running better gauge wire for the fogs anyways.

My PDC has the contacts, etc for the fog lamps. I've already installed the relays.

And I've noticed many times before the wiring along the bottom of the header panel, but it's been covered with a plastic sheath until recently. Had to creatively relocate some things for my front bumper project...

Still don't see the wires, though... :dunno:

I used to see the wiring kits on eBay, too. Always seemed pretty pricey to me...

-alopeks

Odd. Every one I have seen has had the main wiring along the TOP of the header panel, so maybe the cables you're seeing at the bottom are really for the fog lights and the connectors are just taped/ziptied down so you aren't seeing them for what they are?

My PDC has the contacts, etc for the fog lamps. I've already installed the relays.....Still don't see the wires, though...

If you have room in the PDC for the fog relays, you might have the fog lamp wire harness. If not, a quick trip to the junkyard and you should be able to find one.

1997-2001 the fog lamp pigtail drops down from the same junction that the headlamp pigtail comes from.

standard.jpg

Okay, that pic might be a little more accurate... Although I think there's still some wiring along the top, too. I don't know; it's too freaking cold to go check right now..

If that is accurate, then I don't think I have the wiring harness. I've been all over the junctions and have never found a pigtail near that location.

Stupid Mopar making it harder for me to do things myself instead of paying for their expensive stuff... :)

-alopeks

I haven't wired lights in forever, and since my OEM fog lights have NEVER worked since I bought the Jeep, I want to go ahead and fix all this. What exactly should I look for; wiring to and from the lamps, to a relay (where?), to the battery and to the switch? Is this correct?

And btw, I know it's not the switch as as soon as I bought the XJ I replaced that switch with a brand new one from the stealership, just in case anyone asks. I know that's a big issue.

Get out the DMM and do some measuring - only way to be sure, outside of throwing parts at it (though I'd be lazy and try disconnecting and reconnecting all connectors and relays first, just to see if that solves it by scraping them free of corrosion.) Measure voltage at the fog lamp pigtails, then at the connector below the ECU, etc etc - just keep working your way up the chain till you find a signal within nominal range.

I did my 98 with the factory add on kit, no sockets in the PDC, the plug behind the dash panel was powered but I did not use it. The kit came complete with new panel, switch and inside harness, after plugging everything in I was left with one yellow wire that I ran out and hooked to a Hella 550 kit relay. I still have the rest of the factory engine bay part of the harness in a the box that I never used.

Hey guys, I'm wiring/re-wiring my fog lights, and I want to use the factory switch. I noticed there are 4 wires coming out of the back of the switch. Orange, Light Blue, Green, and Black. They way I see it, or guessed it, I fiqured the Light Blue is to the lights, Black is the ground, Orange is power (+), and I don't know what Green, maybe power to the switch LED.

I'm not sure if this is correct, and due to my lack of education about electrical work, I want to make sure I cut into the right wire to power the fog lights. I tried looking into the factory manual, and I think maybe the Orange might be back lighting, leaving green to be power, but I'm not sure, please help. I'd like to fix this and be done with my Jeep... for now.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot and searched for it. For those interested it's here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244723129&postcount=3

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm wiring/re-wiring my fog lights, and I want to use the factory switch. I noticed there are 4 wires coming out of the back of the switch. Orange, Light Blue, Green, and Black. They way I see it, or guessed it, I fiqured the Light Blue is to the lights, Black is the ground, Orange is power (+), and I don't know what Green, maybe power to the switch LED.

I'm not sure if this is correct, and due to my lack of education about electrical work, I want to make sure I cut into the right wire to power the fog lights. I tried looking into the factory manual, and I think maybe the Orange might be back lighting, leaving green to be power, but I'm not sure, please help. I'd like to fix this and be done with my Jeep... for now.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot and searched for it. For those interested it's here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244723129&postcount=3

You never power the fog lights through the switch, you only use that switch to operate a relay that can handle the current, try to power your fogs directly though that little dash mounted switch and it may last all of 5 seconds.

Just checked my 98 - no connectors in the PDC. I already got the panel with the switch. Plugged it in. Now I wll have to figure out where the other end of the wires go! RichP what are your intentions with the harness you still have?

Just checked my 98 - no connectors in the PDC. I already got the panel with the switch. Plugged it in. Now I wll have to figure out where the other end of the wires go! RichP what are your intentions with the harness you still have?
The harness that is left over is made to be the front part, it has one yellow wires input that goes to a fender mounted relay that has the two connections for the fog lights and a power and ground connection. It has nothing to do with the PDC portion.

RichP: Thanks, did a little research to understand and it is less fuzzy than before. The open issue in my mind is where does the one wire from the switch terminate? Given you installed the interior part of the kit, can you state what was installed other than the panel and switch?

Now that I have a post 96 XJ, I am impressed with how much cost cutting was done as part of the transition. Make me appreciate the pre 97 models more, including my 90.

RichP: Thanks, did a little research to understand and it is less fuzzy than before. The open issue in my mind is where does the one wire from the switch terminate? Given you installed the interior part of the kit, can you state what was installed other than the panel and switch?

Now that I have a post 96 XJ, I am impressed with how much cost cutting was done as part of the transition. Make me appreciate the pre 97 models more, including my 90.
The interior part came with a switch, harness and new panel, the harness went inline with several wires, all plug and play and a relay, that little plug was not used at all, Oh, I do remember splicing one wire into the harness under the dash and running a ground to that big aluminum block that the steering wheel mounts to, used a hole already in it.

Back