• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple renix issues..

GarageAlchemist

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced fuel pump and TPS a few weeks ago, now when im driving and i left off the gas at low speeds the idle will drop down to next to nothing, and sometimes die. Any help there?

Also my emissions/maintence light came on the other day, what is that all about?

Is there anywhere that i can find a vaccume line diagram, i bought new lines but not sure where to run them after taking the other ones off and getting interruped in the middle of it.. Thanks for the help again!

Heath

did you test the IAC? what about the O2 sensor? clogged cat? check all grounds? alternator and battery are good? test fuel pressure at the rail?

Clean throttle body and idle air control. They get carboned up over miles and time.

Definitely adjust your throttle position sensor. Your vintage IS adjustable. Manual and a meter will get you there.

It's been a while but isn't that maintenance just a reminder light? Triggered by a timer for the oxygen sensor? I believe you can reset it; someone else please chime in.

Testing battery (load test) and freshening grounds never a bad idea. Renix are notorious for ground issues.

The 'Maint. Reqd.' light is a timer/mileage deal that is for O2 sensor lifespan. Mine, on my '92, come on somewhere around 87k, and I took it to the dealer. They told me that's what it's for, and if it was running OK, just put tape over it. Actually, they didn't do me any favors. When I finally replaced the O2, the mileage jumped up about 25%.
Not to be confused with the 'Check Engine Light' which is a different thing. It's also red on the older models, not like the later amber lights that became the industry standard, especially on OBDII.

There is a HEGO timer (Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor), and the timer has expired. Not resettable on the Renix, just unplug the unit and the light will go out. Under the dash, driver's side, right of the steering column.

Got to Google (Naxja search engine does not handle 3-character or less searches), search for "TPS adjustment NAXJA" without the quotes, that will return a number of threads covering the adjustment procedure. A digital multimeter and the appropriate torx bit is what you will need, and a couple of straightened paper clips to back-probe the Weatherguard connector are all that is needed.

THis is what i found in the search. but it doesn't say which pins are which....

Key on, engine off. Work with the 3-pin connector, the 4-pin goes to the auto trans controller (there is no 4-pin connector if you have a 5-speed). First check for a 5v reference signal between pins A and B on the harness connector, make sure that's OK, then connect the new sensor.

Then, with the sensor connected (key on, engine off still), backprobe pins B and C, you want to adjust the TPS until you get 0.8v there with the throttle plate closed. If you cannot achieve the 0.8 volts, replace the TPS.

Back