• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj steering box

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
alright i read all the threads on the zj steering box swap into an xj. i have an 89. im looking at rockauto and autozone .com right now and they both give the same part number for the 89 cherokee steering box and the 93-98 zj steering box, the part is atsco 7525.
im confused since i thought the zj was a different box with a quicker ratio?
do they just not care?
or not know?
where can i get a box for cheap?
ive been on car part .com
and the cheapest in sacto are around 150$
i went to picknpull a while back they have a ton of zj's, but the jy box could end up being junk after i pull it even.
any one got any part numbers for cheaper zj boxes?

Maybe you're thinking "WJ" steering box. They fit on top of the frame, and have 4 mount holes.

i went to napa's site. i didnt see any ratio info, but their boxes are over 200$ each with a 200$ core charge. i figured if i could get one for cheap. after more research it seems im better off just going to picknpull and grabbing a low mileage one from a zj.

and i wasnt talking about a wj box, i was talking about the zj box with the 12.7 ratio.
im even considering the yj box too.
basically whatever i can get for as cheap as possible that is in good shape

maybe look into a junk yard. Look into a durango box as well. Same mounting, same exterior, but quicker ratio and a tougher box. That gives you one more option. I know my local yard charges $100 for the durango box (but already pulled), and $70 for the ZJ box (already pulled).

i erad up on the durnago box too. i wanted to stay away from that since i had to use some additional spacers to space it out, i think the zj is a direct bolt in. they are 50$ at picknpull.

got a zj box and a wj master cylinder and bosster coming my way now all for 150

Back