• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30??

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
I beleive my front gears are binding and i was wondering does the XJ have a seperate spindal on the nuckle or are the lugs on the axle shaft?? if it does have a spindal can i just take out the Axle shafts?? or if not can i just take out the gear in the dif??

The D30 has a unit bearing hub. There are three 12pt bolts (I believe 13mm) on the back of the knuckle, and these have to be removed to remove the unit bearing, which needs to be taken out to remove the axle shafts. You can just remove the inner shaft, and you'll be fine, but you will have nothing to stop any gear oil from getting out, or anything inside the diff. The outer shaft needs to be installed in the unit bearing, otherwise it will fall apart, and you will lose a tire.

Just take out the carrier, remove the ring gear, and then reinstall the carrier, otherwise the inner part of the shafts will not be supported.

Ok see thats why i was asking what could be done my gears seem to be binding and need it to be driveable without binding so remove the gear off the carrier? will i have to torque anything down??

The bearing caps for the carrier will need to be torqued down, the hub bolts do have a torque, but I've never torqued them properly.

But yes, remove the ring gear, and you can also remove the driveshaft, but that is not necessary as it will no longer be turning. Make sure there is gear oil in there still, as the axle shafts will still turn the carrier and spider gears, and the bearings will still need their lubrication.

Torque the big nut on the axle shaft to spec as well or your hub assembly will go bad quick. Thats the bearing preload.

Too much or too less = bearing death

Torque the big nut on the axle shaft to spec as well or your hub assembly will go bad quick. Thats the bearing preload.

Too much or too less = bearing death

Not needed if he doesn't remove the outer shaft from the bearing, which he has no reason to do. Just remove the unit bearing/axle shafts out together as one assembly.

Otherwise, yes, you are right, improper torque will lead to bad bearings.

I would rather remove the spider gears and the front DS than remove the ring gear. Might just be me though.

I believe you are correct on the 12pt bolt size, it is definitely 12 or 13mm.

dunno, a TC is a hundred bucks at a junkyard, so is a d30. And a TC is a hell of a lot easier to pull and replace. Check the SEC classifieds and see if someone is selling a TC for less than 100, I guess? Unless you can fix yours.

Ive never torn down a TC so im not gonna mess with it. Ill just try to find a used one

Probably the best thing.

You didn't specify which TC. The NP/NV 231 is about as simple as they come, and if you have the skills to replace a clutch you can rebuild one.

Back