• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS replacement

XJ Jules

NAXJA Forum User
OK Ive searched the forum and I think my stalling problem may be cps related.What can I expect to pay for a cps?How hard is it to change it? Any tips to make the change go smoothly?
To make a long story short my xj is stalling but fires right back up.Sometimes it stalls while idling sometimes at 60 mph,30 mph etc.Last time it stalled the check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and the light is now off.I drove it about 5 miles with no problem but I know my problem will probaly be back. I checked the wiring on the cps and it looks fine.
What do you guys think, sound like my cps is sh!ttin out to you?
Heres what I got 96 xj 133k miles 4.0L auto aw4 np242 3"lift 1"tc drop 32s.
Great site! TIA for any help!

It isnt the worst thing you will ever do, but it will make you cuss a few times.

The sensor costs about $30 from Advance Discount Parts. You can also get it at NAPA or CarQuest for aftermarket. It will run you over $100 from the stealership I think.

I suggest you read this writeup I did on another forum before you replace yours. It will save you some effort and sweat next time it goes bad.

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=20947

Thanks for the link! I will definetly make that mod to the bracket for next time.I owe ya beer! Any tips on how to keep the bolts from falling in the bellhousing?

You just have to be very careful when you get to the end of the thread so that you can pull the bolt out by hand. Dont trust the socket to hold them. Stuff a rag or something into the hole by the sensor just in case.

Once the mod is done, you will never have to fully remove these bolts again.

My sensor seems to have a little splash guard mud flap type thingy covering the hole. I need to pick up a longer extension and a swivel at advanced when I go to pick up the new sensor. I cant quite get the bolts without a longer extension at least. The tc drop seems to make life a little easier though.Thanks again!

XJ Jules said:
The tc drop seems to make life a little easier though.Thanks again!
I know on my 90 I would've just gotten pissed off and dropped the crossmember like all the way down if I didn't have a T-Case drop. It makes life 10x easier when getting to those bolts and to the bellhousing bolts as well. It almost makes it so you don't have to drop the x-member to do the bellhousing bolts. Definitely try not to drop the bolts down the bellhousing. I dropped one down, its not the end of the world but you do slice your hands on that sharp ass dust shield.

Back