• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damage to tranny internals?

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Well my XJ with 350,000KM has a leaky transmission. Right where the plate mounts for the tranny mount, it's corroded and has a hairline crack(s), which leak incredible amounts for how small they are.

My question is, since the casing is cast aluminum, I know it can't be welded with a regular aluminum welder (I tried it anyway.)

I was told that tig welding can be done to cast, and I just so happen to know someone with the tools :)

Would it cause any damage to anything internal to be welding these cracks up? I just dont like the idea of JB weld...I know that shit just comes off after a while.

Trannys are semi disposable around here. I can normally score one for $100 to $150. Check Craig's list and post up on the boards. For less than $200 it just isn't worth tearing it out, tearing it down, repairing it, getting it back together, just to find out it still leaks or worse.

Good Luck.

If you want to try and weld it, get a couple of aluminum brazing type rods. They are a high zinc content and you use a torch. I have done wonders with them.

Ya see, AX-15's arent cheap here. They normally go for 4-500 bones. Also I just had it all apart to do a clutch, dont really wanna do all that again. Looking for an alternate route first, before that :(

I think old_man refers to the AW4. AX-15's aren't cheap in ohio either.
Have you tried contacting a local trans shop? They may do it, or know someone who can do that.

Sorry I guess I should have stated that its manual. I know auto's are a little more delicate, thats why I want to weld it.

I just want to know if it's weldable, and if the location would cause damage to anything on the inside?

Back