• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Luggage Rack

4-play

NAXJA Forum User
Is it hard to remove the factory luggage rack? I want to take it off to repaint it as the finish has flaked off down to bare metal in some spots. Should I just leave it on the jeep, mask it off and paint it?

very easy to remove. the crossbars have buttons you depress on either side to get them to slide off the factory roof bars. the roofbars themselves unscrew with a T25 torx bit if i remember correctly. do youself a favor and use a magnetic bit, or have a magnetic screwdriver handy to help take out the torx bits once theyre completely loose

no headliner removal. stole this quote from one thread down. thanks 5-90 for perfect timing and knowledge

Those "rubber nuts" is called "well nuts" - they're a rubber surround around a brass threaded insert. The screw is threaded into the insert, then the rubber gets pulled up to surround the plate and fill the hole as the screw is tightened. It doesn't take a whole lot of torque.

IIRC, using #10-24 or #8-32 well nuts will fit neatly into a 1/4" hole - and the holes in the roof should be 1/4". Therefore, buy whatever size well nuts at the local that fit in a 1/4" hole (about fifty cents each) and flat head machine screws to fit (about an inch long) in brass or CRES.

My rackmounts were leaking, I peeled the rack off and got brass pan head screws and well nuts to fill in all of the holes for about six bucks all up. I'll eventually have the holes plug-welded once I get a patch panel cut out to remove the damned sunroof...

Back