• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought an XJ, have a few questions

djcherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I've just become the proud owner of a '92 Cherokee Sport. 4.0l, manual, 4wd. Engine runs good but I noticed that after I shut off the engine, I hear a clicking/tapping noise coming from the engine. I'm pretty sure it isn't the typical metal "tinks" you hear after you shut off a hot engine. It kinda sounds like an electrical relay keeps switching on/off. Haven't been able to pinpoint the exact location yet. Any ideas?

Also, the previous owner had installed a budget 2" lift. Has shackles in the rear, but the front looks like it has 2 spacers on top of each coil. Each spacer looks to be 1.75 or 2 inch. Shouldn't there be just one spacer per side? It seems to sit a little higher in the front too. I will try to get pics tomorrow morning in the light.

Thanks for any help!

sounds like you need to post a picture of the suspension. my motor makes the same noises! pin point the relay and im sure someone here can explain what its doing and why.

welcome to the addiction!

Thanks for the reply. I will get some pics of the front suspension up tomorrow morning. I have a total of 4 spacers on the front. 2 for each front coil.

First off, welcome!

Regarding your questions... for the shut down clicking/tapping, you have to pinpoint it a bit better probably. At least I haven't run into that sound/issue... yet. :) How long do the sounds last after you shut off the engine?

Regarding the front lift, possibly the previous owner either stacked extra coil isolators for a cheap lift, or maybe they are small coil spacers in addition to the stock coil isolators?

A really quick first step for the clicking, if you suspect it of being electrical, would be to disconnect the batter negative cable right after shutting down. If the clicking stops, it's electrical, if not, it's not. Once you're past that, you can start hunting it down and see if you can isolate where it's coming from.

Went out and snapped this real quick.

1000927d.jpg

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7290/1000927.jpg

If you only hear this noise AFTER you turn the engine off, that's a good thing.

Noises can be tough to isolate. Sometimes a mechanics stethoscope can be helpful.

Have a buddy turn off the vehicle while you carefully move your ear around the engine bay.

looks like you have two 2 inch spacers so you would have 4 inches of lift... not the best way to do it but it does work.

looks like you have two 2 inch spacers so you would have 4 inches of lift... not the best way to do it but it does work.

Yikes, Sounds the the PO of his vehicle was a tightwad! I would replace those with a set of 3.5 inch coils when the money became available.

You sure those are 2" spacers? Since the OP said it only seems to have approx 2" lift I would suspect they are not 2" each. Plus if you compare the bolts on the trac bar bracket to the size of the spacer, it doesn't look like 2" spacers... Unless the trac bar bracket is held on using bolts that are larger than 1" across...

I would guess that they are 2x 1" or 1.5" spacers stacked, but I could be very wrong. They do look big in the pic, but comparing to the other stuff around it and the PO's comments it just doesn't seem like they would be 2" each :dunno:

Edit: Then again compared to the shock it does look like it could be 2" each. idk, I give up, time for lunch.

You sure those are 2" spacers? Since the OP said it only seems to have approx 2" lift I would suspect they are not 2" each. Plus if you compare the bolts on the trac bar bracket to the size of the spacer, it doesn't look like 2" spacers... Unless the trac bar bracket is held on using bolts that are larger than 1" across...

I would guess that they are 2x 1" spacers stacked, but I could be very wrong.

You are wrong those are a 1.75 inch spacer! :laugh3: Take a look at one then look at that pic again!

grab a tape measure and settle this for us! place tape measure or ruler by spacers and take picture.

also it would be helpful to see the rear suspion and a picture of said jeep as a whole!

so you guys think it's ok to run the spacers stacked like this or should i go with one per side? would this cause any adverse effects on the drivetrain?

Figure 1.75" x 2 = 3.5", then subtract .75" for the missing stock coil isolators and you have 2.75" net front lift.

I would try to figure out how much the rear is lifted. If the front looks a lot higher than it should be now, you might get away
with removing one of the spacers. But that will reduce you to only 1" net front lift without replacing the stock isolators. If
you're only lifted 1.5" in the rear and your tires will clear the wheel wells, you could probably get away with removing one.

Back