• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Post Broke

bnshphrd

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. This is my first post here on naxja.org. I have been checking out the forums and decided to upgrade my alternator by using one from a 98 Jeep Cherokee. Upon receipt of my used alternator one of the post is broke and there seems to be no way to fix it. Could I just use a bolt in its place?

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

DSCN2960.jpg

Someone may get on who knows specifically about repairing the terminal, but i would suggest going to a local auto electric shop. When my bearings went, a local shop replaced bearings and brushes for $40 drive-out, in about an hour. Just guessing you could get the terminal done for less or do the whole job for about the same cost if you have any questions about the history of your alternator.

Thank you all for you help. I will try to find and alternator repair shop. In my current location this will prove to be difficult. Does anyone know of a good mail off service that they have used and would personally recommend?

Thank you all for you help. I will try to find and alternator repair shop. In my current location this will prove to be difficult. Does anyone know of a good mail off service that they have used and would personally recommend?

Click either of the links in my sig, back up to the index page, and scroll down to hit San Jose Generator. He's the shop I've been using for my work and personal vehicles for the last dozen years or so, and he does a damned good job. I talked him into doing mail-order a couple of years back.

Rod's only flaw is that he keeps banker's hours (and I think we're -3 to you, so call him before 1400 local.) But, he's a one-and-a-half man shop (he's got a part-time helper,) which means he's got his finger in pretty much everything that goes out. You could do a lot worse!

probably ought to open it up and look at the hardware before shipping it off somewhere. I was thinking local alternator shop might have the part lying around but you might be able to fix it by ordering the right metric bolt or all-thread

Back