• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another RC lift question

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I i have read about all i can about RC kits but still unable to make a choice on the 6.5 x series kit or the 4.5 long arm kit. I have noticed that the trans bolts are exposed with the long arm kit cross member. So, those that have either one of them please reply. What kind of clearance does the LA vs x series with drop brackets have? How much does the LA kit hang below the unibody rails? Should i just go with the long arm kit and wheel the crap out of it and forget about it? Or is the X series and DB whe way to go? Thanks:cheers:

Last edited:
If you have long arms, you shouldnt HAVE to run drop brackets.

:doh: Hmmmmmm? I just re-read my post. And i'm clearly asking about the 6.5 X series lift with drop brackets AND the 4.5 long arm kit. What kind of clearance issues are there with the long arm kit? VS a 6.5 lift with DB? On the LA kit it seems to hang down some where the joints meet the cross member. Is this a hang up point?

Well i was thinking 33x12.50s so yes i would need to trim a little. I would say the hardest wheeling would be (youtube) "sidewinder/bronco peak". Or at least give that an honest shot! Was out last week for the first time as a ride along.. Man was that a blast!! But back to the topic. I was just woundering if its better to have something hanging "lower" closer to the front wheels or further towards the center of the rig?

It's preference. Either way, the only way you'll get "caught" on them is if you either high center on em, which would be hard unless you're moving reeeeeaaaaaalllllyy slow, or if you're in reverse. If going forwards, you will slide on them. My RK 3 link mounts/arms hang down a couple inches under my framerails and any rock that hit them, they just slid.

SO, maybe get drop brackets that have a skid? Or Build your own?

The long arm is in many ways a far superior set up. You will get hung up on both from time to time but like was already stated you'll skid on the long arms better. Plus the on road ride will be better, you'll get better articulation and it will be much stronger overall in the long run.

The long arm is in many ways a far superior set up. You will get hung up on both from time to time but like was already stated you'll skid on the long arms better. Plus the on road ride will be better, you'll get better articulation and it will be much stronger overall in the long run.

Now thats the stuff i was looking for. I mean i can always add an inch or so. Now correct me if i'm wrong here.. But isn't there a post that says that the RC long arm crossmember actually drop the trans mount about 1.5 in.? I know i seen it somewhere..

It doesn't hang down low enough to be a concern.

DSCF6843.jpg

I had the drop brackets b4 the LA's and they were a little lower:

DSCF5529.jpg

Drop brackets bring your arms back parallel with the ground, long arms can never be parallel. The angle on the arms is what causes the bad ride, more shock is transmitted into the chassis instead of being absorbed by the movement of the arms. Short arms with drop brackets should be every bit as strong as most long arm setups as well. Ask CrazyJim how he feels about his drop brackets, and he pushes his Jeep pretty hard!

I went with long arms, but mainly because I had the cash at the time and wanted the three link, plus I would've been buying 4 new adjustable arms plus the drop brackets, rice between the two options then came down to a minimal difference.

Back