• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood pins

01xjkiller

NAXJA Forum User
thought about putting hood pins in the front corners of my jeep. i thought of leaving the spring but taking the latches off. anyone who has any thoughts or photos of this would be awesome. thanks

I've always thought they might be a bad idea. Just in case of a fire under the hood. One more thing to fumble with.

I've always thought they might be a bad idea. Just in case of a fire under the hood. One more thing to fumble with.
ever seen the release cable for a jeep? it's on top of the engine, and very fragile.
have fun with the carbq, my hood can be opened in 5 seconds, without opening the door to hit the release.
i'd recommend you put em here, and stay far, FAR away from the cheap redneck ones, mine are autofab.
the latches and the springs on my 1990, are the same peice! you cant get rid of one, without the other (you COULD, by drilling out the latch mechanism, but then that lame latch thing is still there. i like mine without, i use my hood strut to open the hood, dont need a spring.)

alot of people do hood pins because of there fear of under hood fires.

in the event of a fire the release cable breaks and then your Fed.

do some searching there are a few threads on this.

I was going to do this. but then I got lazy. I say go for it.

and he said he was taking the latches off. so thats one less thing.

just pull pins and hood is open.

as compared to pull the hood release, run around to front stick your fingers under the hood and into the fire and find the second latch.

as compared to pull the hood release, run around to front stick your fingers under the hood and into the fire and find the second latch.

if he pulls the latch/spring, and installs hoodpins, he will need a peice of string to open the hood, the weight will hold it down and make it next to impossible to open, throw on a rear hatch strut, for the double-win.

oh, well I meant take the latch off and leave the spring. im pretty sure 97 and up that's do able. isnt the spring on the bottom, and the latch on the top?

I guess i never thought of it like this... :twak: But hey i guess i learned something new today.

ya my spring is on the brace for the rad support...the latch and center catch hook are on the hood...those are the two things i would take off and leave the springs. thanks for the input if anyone else has anything pros and cons it would be much appricated thanks....i suck at spelling so sorry guys and girls if there are some on here...more power to ya women....thanks tho

i suck at spelling so sorry guys and girls if there are some on here...more power to ya women....thanks tho

At least you admit it and I have seen far worse spellers on here! :cheers:

ya my spring is on the brace for the rad support...the latch and center catch hook are on the hood...those are the two things i would take off and leave the springs.

Only problem is that the springs that are on the rad support will only lift the hood if the latches on the hood are still in place. If you look at the latch and the spring/catch mechanism the latch goes down on both sides of the metal bar and then makes contact with the spring under it. So if you remove the latches and the center catch hook then there is nothing that lifts the hood up to be able to open it. Another option is removing all that using hood pins, put the lift supports on the sides of the hood and then possibly a handle on the front middle of the hood to use for lifting it up.

ya now that you say that dave92cherokee your right and i completely looked past it. what if i was to fab up some sort of a dummy latch that didnt have the catch mechanism on it but still would do the job of allowing the spring to open it?

You could probably remove the latches from the hood and possibly gut them so they won't catch on the metal bar and then remove the center catch. Or remove the latches completely and build a metal bracket that fits over it and contacts the spring.

I did hood pins just because the cable was getting hard to pull... It got mildly stuck one time and I called it finished.

I'll be doing hood pins when I narrow the front end and will figure out how to get the hood open then. Thinking about getting one of the little flip up D ring things that are used in the back of some suv's and mounting it right in the middle. That way when it's not in use it's laying flush and don't have to worry about it getting ripped off by anything and when needed is easy to get to.

Only problem is that the springs that are on the rad support will only lift the hood if the latches on the hood are still in place. If you look at the latch and the spring/catch mechanism the latch goes down on both sides of the metal bar and then makes contact with the spring under it. So if you remove the latches and the center catch hook then there is nothing that lifts the hood up to be able to open it. Another option is removing all that using hood pins, put the lift supports on the sides of the hood and then possibly a handle on the front middle of the hood to use for lifting it up.

Throw everything away except the springs, simple, easy, and free...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

thanks for the help Jes. it looks good and are those the original springs off of it. those look a little small. and i think, well from what i can see of, your rig looks awesome. thanks

Back