• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified seat, legality issues? Safety concerns?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at trying something with taking the rear passenger bench seats out and installing a single passenger seat or drivers seat on the passenger side. Obviously I would have to make custom brackets for both the seat, and seat belts, but I was wondering if there's any legal concerns I might run into?

The number one thing I'm concerned about is the safety of my passengers, by installing/modifying a seat for the back. This means the mounting and the seat belts need to work...is there any thing I should pay close attention to over another? I was thinking I'd use 3/16th thick steel and cut and weld everything as necessary and additionally to the welds I'd bolt anything that relies solely on a weld, just in case the weld breaks.

The next thing is, is it legal to modify a seat and such like this?

If it matters, I was going to try a mock up with an XJ front passenger seat on the passenger side (in the bench spot), and if I find it doesn't work very well I'll hunt the junkyard for a seat that works better.

~Scott

look in your states vehicle code. varies from state to state but if you leave the stock seat belts where they are, you'll probly be good.

Hollywood98 did a nice job on his. You could PM him

If the seat is properly mounted, safely, and has at the very least a lap belt, you'll be fine in WA.

Good info. Thanks Eli!

If anyone else has done something similar to this, lets see some pics!

~Scott

I've always wanted to do this.... And you don't even need to wear a belt in the back here for whatever reason.

in georgia its horrible, i had a 25 dollar ticket for not having my seatbelt on in the passenger seat.
nominated... for you know what, and a darwin award also

my god, a 25 dollar ticket?! Perish the thought!

last seatbelt ticket i got was 15 years ago and it was $60 here in CA. 25$ is nothing. any person in the vehicle has to have a seatbelt on, and if the passenger is over 16 they get the ticket, under 16 and the driver gets it.

in georgia its horrible, i had a 25 dollar ticket for not having my seatbelt on in the passenger seat.

Same here in Indiana, you know how I solve this problem....... I WEAR A SEATBELT :doh: Oh yeah and wearing them saves lives too!

In NY seats just need to be "perminatly affixed" to the vehicle bolting is obviously legal and they must have perminatly affixed seat belts according to an officer I've spoken with. We mounted 2 buckets in my buddys f150 bew with belts and wanted to see if it was legal which it is!

I have always supported the wearing of proper seatbelts.

image-0CF7_4B46A909.jpg

I lived, and considering that I had disabled the airbags, I believe that the seatbelt is what preserved my life through three times end-over end.

share-0CF7_4B46A909.html

I feel like I am in traffic school.

Back