• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limited slip for dana 30?

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a limited slip for the Dana 30? I'm looking to install a blueprinted factory trac-loc in the rear, and a limited slip in the front as well. i am choosing this route simply because there will be minimal feedback from the differentials when on the highway. Plus, there will be a less likely chance of any axle breakage when on the trail. plus, my budget is low right now, but i am planing to do a regear when i install the front and rear differentials, hopefully around income tax time. thanks for the input.

I installed a Detroit Tru-Trac in my dana 30. It is a gear type limited slip that does not require any special additives or lubricants and it won't wear out like clutch type limited slips.. I was very happy with mine and since I never did any hardcore trails, the front Limited slip was a perfect match for my rear locker. I believe The Tru-trac is made by Eaton.

I have a Tru-trac in the front of my '00(Auburn cone-clutch LS in the back). 'Love it. I believe there is a maximum recommended tire size, but I bought mine used without the documentation, so I'm not sure. On the street, you don't know it's there. On the trail it quietly does it's job through some really tough stuff. 'Need a little more traction? Tap the brakes and it locks up hard.
The only real problem is cost. The Tru-trac, new, costs almost as much as a Detroit locker, and almost twice the price of an aussie-locker or lock-rite. It's a full case install, and requires re-shimming the carrier for ring gear backlash. If you have stock gears and are looking at going lower in the future, the stock -30 gears in the jeep bump up against the carrier break. That means if you later go lower(numerically higher then 3.55 gears), you need to get a new Tru-trac. Your best bet is to re-gear when you do the install if it's in your future. Remember what I said about expensive?

On the other hand, it is probably the best LS made. I think it's worth it. Also, you can buy them used safely. Since they're gear driven, they don't wear out. As long as it's not physically broken, it will work.

thanks guys, well, looks like that might not be in the books for a while. looks like the tru-trac might be my only option though, like i stated, i'm looking for nice smooth action, and traction when i need it.

Back