• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought an XJ now what

duke183

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I bought an XJ a few months back. It is a fun vehicle and does great in the snow. I checked all of the records the guy had for it, and he had everything documented, and he had the diffs fluid changed, trans fluid changed, and regular oil changes and greese jobs done last year. It has 94,000 miles on it now and just wondering what I should do for it at this point. I need to obviously do a tune-up but what else should I look for?

Since I have had it since August I have had to replace the master window and lock control on the drivers side, four new tires, oil change, new air filter.

Other problems that I have not taken care of yet: left front speaker works sometimes and shuts off. Not sure what to do here?

Rear hatch doesnt stay up all of the time. So I guess I will be replacing those struts.

Rear windshield wiper sprayer doesnt work anymore. I am going to check into this in the spring when it gets above freezing.

What else should I do? Any suggestions. I just need this thing to last me a couple of years.

Thanks.

Chris

speaker issue - you probably have broken wires inside the rubber duct that goes from the door to the body, it's an extremely common problem. pull it out of the body+door, move the wiring harness around till you find the break, and splice in a new wire - make sure there are no splices inside the rubber boot because they will break again.

rear hatch -hit a junkyard or RockAuto.com, either one will charge you 20-40 dollars for newish or new struts.
rear wiper sprayer? Does it just stream out straight back or does it not spray at all? If it streams out straight back, it'll actually work pretty well above 50mph, and is great for hosing tailgaters so I wouldn't fix it :scottm:

Check your transmission cooler lines for rust (if they are rusty, Dorman makes all the parts you will need to replace them, RockAuto will charge you about 65 dollars for all of them, no big deal), grease your door hinges, check if your floors are rusting out, and change the transfer case fluid if you feel like it.

As for the speaker, it's a short in the speaker wiring that's inside that black loom going from the body of the Jeep to the door. Common problem on the late models.

The next thing I would do would be a tranny fluid and filter change, and make sure you put Dexron III into the transmission (assuming you have an automatic)...NOT Mercon or ATF+ anything. While your down there, change the fluid in the transfercase. It takes the same Dexron III that the transmission takes.

Other than that, keep up on the oil changes and it'll last you many more than a couple of years.

Thanks everyone. Great information that will definitely help. Cant wait to fix the speakers too.

What year/engine?

Tuneup hardware is never a bad idea. Plugs, plug wires cap and rotor (unless it's a 2000 or 2001). Tossing a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner or equivalent into about 3/4 of a tank of gas to help optimize fuel injector spray pattern not a bad idea.

I see you mentioned tranny, diffs, and oil. However, no mention of coolant or transfer case fluid change.

Really important to stay on top of basic coolant system maintenance. That includes flush/fill, new 195 degree t-stat and cap also not a bad idea. Verify coolant strength with a hydrometer when done with your work. With cooling system maintenance, it's pay me now or pay me a lot more later.

Good luck and enjoy your XJ!

Back