• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting problems with AW4

The New

NAXJA Forum User
After having a garage do work on my XJ (that I did not ask them to do) I have a problem where I can be driving down the road and have the my trans shift out of gear or jump in and out.

It doesn't happen all the time and I cannot get it to repeat the situation when having a mechanic look at it.

Any ideas???

I would bet it's either a TPS issue or a throttle kickdown cable issue - might be wrong on this. You can adjust the kickdown cable yourself and test the TPS to see if it is operating properly.

More info would be helpful, such as the year. What work did the shop do? By shift out of gear, is it shifting into a different gear or slipping and reving up?

I agree with kastein on checking the TPS. They do eventually wear out or get contaminated. Did the shop by chance pressure wash the engine bay? That's the easy way to kill a TPS sensor.

The 'throttle body to tranny cable" is often incorrectly referred to as a kickdown cable. That cable affects the shift firmness, however if its very misadjusted it can cause it to not shift or drop out of a gear.

:dunce: guess I used the wrong term there on the throttle body to tranny cable. Things to remember...

The 'throttle body to tranny cable" is often incorrectly referred to as a kickdown cable.
Actually, if you want to get technical it is called the "Throttle Valve" cable or "TV Cable" and allows more line pressure as more throttle is applied..

Here is how to adjust it:
Adjust the TV cable and check the fluid level before you do anything...
I have posted this on a few other trans threads, and it has helped a couple people...
jeep_tvc_adj_576b.gif

To adjust the TV cable you:
1: Push in and hold the release button
2: While holding in release button, push "conduit" in as far as it will go
3: Release button
4: Rotate throttle to WOT, some people do this with the gas pedal. Others do it from the engine compartment.
5: Hold at WOT for a few seconds, cable should ratchet out a click or two.
6: Your TV cable should now be properly adjusted, take it for a test ride.

Here is another post about it on NAXJA
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963
and another tutorial on how to adjust it
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/cher...nsmission.html

Actually, if you want to get technical it is called the "Throttle Valve" cable or "TV Cable" and allows more line pressure as more throttle is applied.

Thanks for posting the info on adjusting that cable. I like the term "throttle body to tranny cable" better as it describes it better. Most people hear Throttle Valve Cable and don't think tranny.

Back