• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Coolant Overflow Tank

Silver60th

NAXJA Forum User
Before anyone says anything, I HAVE searched, I promise :cool:

My '01 has a cracked coolant overflow tank. I have melted it together, covered in JB Weld, etc., with no help. It leaks about half the tank a day.

Is there any suitable swaps from another vehicle that would work? Or any aftermarket parts that are cheap(ish) and won't break readily (Dorman)? I have read where people swap in a Crown Vic tank, but that is for the earlier model closed systems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well, when you live where I live (Victoria, Tx.) and you have no pick-and-pulls and the like, you have to get creative. We have boneyards, but they are the greedy "Tell me what ya need and we'll get it for ya" type.

5 year old plastic tanks quickly equal $$$$$

getimage.php

DORMAN Part # 603305

Rockauto.com has it for $21.79 + shipping.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1373666,parttype,10457

I like Dorman but I wouldn't recommend their bottles to anybody. The ones they have for RENIX seem to all leak, and the one I bought for my dad's Taurus also sprung a leak almost immediately. They don't warantee the bottles at all either, I figure they know something and I should take the clue.

Yeah, Dorman seems to be the only other manufacturer to make a exact replacement for the cherokee. And I have read threads of people replacing them 2-3 times a year.

Team Cherokee has the OEM bottle for $32, I just will have to wait to call the dealer tomorrow to see what their price is. Any other options? How about a factory bottle for another car that I could pick up at autozone/advanced/oreillys that would fit?

its the plastic they make them out of, it seems to harden and split from the heat. I know the renix bottles aren't worth a crap, but they are under pressure. the HO bottles are just an overflow tank you should be fine.

anything you pick up aftermarket be it from napa/orieleys/autozone are most likely going to be made by Dorman.

@ GrimmJeeper

Good point, didn't think about the open/closed part either. I may have to just pick one up for the sake of it. Running with a dry overflow tank doesn't seem that appealing to me at the moment.

Back