• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is grille/grille insert one piece or two piece?

tacottle

NAXJA Forum User
I hope this isn't too clumsy, but here goes: a couple of months ago, someone ran a stop sign to my right and I hit him in the intersection. I had hit the brakes so I was not going too fast, but the bumper was dented and the part that has the Jeep emblem and the seven slot grille was cracked. Those parts had to be replaced.

I have a white 2001 Sport, so the part with the Jeep emblem and the seven slot grille is white. Behind the seven slot grille is another grille with smaller divisions (grille insert?), and that is black. Of course, behind that is the radiator.

When I got the XJ back from the body shop, everything looked OK, but now I see that the grille behind the seven slot grille was originally white and they painted it black, as the black paint is being slowly chipped off.

My question is: is that a two piece assembly, so that I can go back and tell them nice try, but they really need to get a black grille insert, or is the whole thing a one piece assembly (grille insert manufactured as a part of the seven slot grille piece so the grille insert can't be changed out for a black one) and the only way to get a white seven slot grille with a black grille insert is to find a front from a white Cherokee Sport?

Your help will be most appreciated. It really started to bug me when I saw that the grille insert was originally white.

Tim

I'm not sure I'd complain/worry too hugely about it. We drive vehicles that are no longer in production, produced by a company that no longer exists (DaimlerChrysler in your case, non-gov't/Fiat owned Chrysler in mine). If it really bugs you, you can always try finding one at the junkyard.

There is a one piece grill insert that has the seven slots and "mesh" all in one piece. This fits into the nose piece. You could pull it out and spray paint it any colors you wanted. Various versions are also available on E-bay.

Back