• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a new engine?

DIKASUN

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so heres the thing. i have a 1992 xj with a 4.0. It's got over 210,000 miles on it (odometer works randomly). First of all it takes about 15 seconds of cranking to get it to start. also, I have to replace my spark plugs every month due to white chalky shit that covers them and causes misfiring and bad gas milage. Every week i have to add at least 2 quarts of oil due to a small rear main seal leak and oil being burned (smells like a 2 stroke engine). but, when everything is done right, it runs perfectly. i know how to do maintenance type things, and how to fix other problems, but i am not a mechanic. i also am 19 in college so i dont have a lot of money. are those problems easily fixable?

That's too funny. Mine's a 90, and I'm not changing the plugs every month, but other than that, I'm in the same boat. I'm even 19 and in college too.

By the spring I hope to have a new engine in mine. Until then, I'm keeping my FSM, tools, a case of oil and a gallon of coolant in the Jeep at all times.

O2 sensor might be bad
CPS sensor could also be bad
check under the oil boss where the oil filter mounts. That is where I was leaking.
Do a compression & leakdown (test to tell if its time to rebuild)
I'll try to find my info about all the sensor testing when I get home

DIKASUN said:
ok, so heres the thing. i have a 1992 xj with a 4.0. It's got over 210,000 miles on it (odometer works randomly). First of all it takes about 15 seconds of cranking to get it to start. also, I have to replace my spark plugs every month due to white chalky shit that covers them and causes misfiring and bad gas milage. Every week i have to add at least 2 quarts of oil due to a small rear main seal leak and oil being burned (smells like a 2 stroke engine). but, when everything is done right, it runs perfectly. i know how to do maintenance type things, and how to fix other problems, but i am not a mechanic. i also am 19 in college so i dont have a lot of money. are those problems easily fixable?

Sell it now when it still runs Iv'e done this twice cause there is never a cheap motor when you need one and XJ's that don't run don't sell for enough to buy a replacement veichle

On that note I once blew a 4.0 after months of searching (pre-internet) I found a Dealership Mechanic whose wife was making him sell his project 4.0 engone to buy x-mas presents. I went to look at it and it was mint all stainless fastners and polished everything he wanted 400 bucks and I told him I would be back the next day....Long story short that night I chipped a tooth and had to use the money to have it fixed...I still have nightmares.

GPK007 said:
Long story short that night I chipped a tooth and had to use the money to have it fixed...I still have nightmares.
Id have said F the tooth, Im gettin a Jeep!

DIKASUN said:
hmmm. not sure i would get much for it. here she is...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102018

Yup Iv'e been there.... My first jeep the one with the blown motor...Had probally 40 pounds of bondo in only 2 places and the hatch was a different color then the truck. I ended up giving it away cause I didn't have room for it and the Audi 500s (what a piece) a friend gave me. I should of kept the Jeep and taken the bus.

Back