• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's or Rugged Ridge steering conversion?

I have the RR. It's a strong setup. I've had the entire front end weight of the XJ on it without bending. It'll take a pretty good hit. The dead spot is real bothersome to deal with though. Especially in a DD.The Tre's wear quickly if you're wheeling often. They're spendy too. The only place I have seen have replacements are RR. I got banged there. For the price to replace the TRE's I could have almost just bought a brand new setup. I didn't look into cross referencing part numbers. I'm sure with some digging you could find them.

IMO with a 3in lift there is no reason to go to a crossover steering set up. i may be mistake but i do believe that a crossover steering would actually make you steering angles worse. if you research on here neither of those products get good reviews. the money spent on a high steer at your hight would be better used somewhere else.

P.S. it is in really bad taste to repost a question just because no one answered it. search and ye shal find.

wanting crossover steering for my '00 2 door xj w/ 3in lift, wondering if i should go for the cheaper $170 RR conversion or Rusty's more expensive conversion.

Dont buy either,also redefine what type of system your really wanting.Neither of those is a true crossover steering.

For 3" of lift, go currie.

Not worth spending $$ on a system that has a dead spot. I mean why would you want to "BUY" a dead spot for your steering? That's odd.

I know Trucks used Rusty's steering on their xj build but I still don't trust their parts and you gotta weld a trackbar bracket above the axle if you used his setup.

I will state this only once: NEVER go cheap with steering.

i went cheap and did the zj steering on my 89 with 4.5" of lift. still stock geometry and UTK, but its cheap, easier to do toe alignments, and is heavier duty then xj steering.

For 3" of lift, go currie.

Not worth spending $$ on a system that has a dead spot. I mean why would you want to "BUY" a dead spot for your steering? That's odd.

I know Trucks used Rusty's steering on their xj build but I still don't trust their parts and you gotta weld a trackbar bracket above the axle if you used his setup.

I will state this only once: NEVER go cheap with steering.

I agree on all accounts. Currie here and love it.

Oh, and this question is asked about once a week. I know we've discussed this within the past few days.

I would check out Iron Rock Offroad, they are really good on price. You can either go HD tie rod $66.99 (which is what i would do for 3 inches) or full on otk for abt $350. All 1.25" solid cold rolled steel (none of that tube rusty's shit.) And if you do decide to go otk their is no trackbar relocation needed.

I would check out Iron Rock Offroad, they are really good on price. You can either go HD tie rod $66.99 (which is what i would do for 3 inches) or full on otk for abt $350. All 1.25" solid cold rolled steel (none of that tube rusty's shit.) And if you do decide to go otk their is no trackbar relocation needed.

Looks like RK's setup. It uses heims though and they aren't the best parts to use on steering systems for a DD rig but they do work if you don't mind slight clunking after a couple months.

Looks like RK's setup. It uses heims though and they aren't the best parts to use on steering systems for a DD rig but they do work if you don't mind slight clunking after a couple months.
You know this from experience or just guessing?? I have had good luck with heims for other applications, I keep em lubed and get long life out of them. My old re track bar had one and I ran that for years with no clunking or play, now its on another xj getting beat on. There is also a big difference between your 12.99 each and your 40 buck heims too. Maybe you got some cheepies?

oh yeah rugged ridge sucks,makes you look like a weaving drunk driver, i could only source one of the 3 tre's through normal channels, then got but raped on the others.

I cant say that i have too much experience with heim joints, but the folks over at iron rock off road are kind quick,very honest and stand by their products which is more than i can say for alot of other manufacturers that i have dealt with. And if you dont feel that their product is something that your too sure abt, then by all means look elsewhere. The great thing about XJ's is that heir are so many freaking manufactures nowadays and im sure that you will find one that your most comfortable with. Mine was Iron Rock/RC mainly for price, but also because of good customer support.LoL

You know this from experience or just guessing?? I have had good luck with heims for other applications, I keep em lubed and get long life out of them. My old re track bar had one and I ran that for years with no clunking or play, now its on another xj getting beat on. There is also a big difference between your 12.99 each and your 40 buck heims too. Maybe you got some cheepies?

Experience....sorta. My two experiences with heims in steering or suspension (trackbar) ended with clunking and it was annoying. Don't get me wrong though, they held up just fine. It's just the annoying rattle/clunk that developed that drove me nuts. :)

Experience....sorta. My two experiences with heims in steering or suspension (trackbar) ended with clunking and it was annoying. Don't get me wrong though, they held up just fine. It's just the annoying rattle/clunk that developed that drove me nuts. :)
I keep mine lubed up everytime I look at them, I like to use wurth hhs high pressure synthetic spray lube, maybe this has something to do with longer life? I was warned about squeeking but thats all, no squeeking yet

I keep mine lubed up everytime I look at them, I like to use wurth hhs high pressure synthetic spray lube, maybe this has something to do with longer life? I was warned about squeeking but thats all, no squeeking yet

I never tried that stuff. Maybe I should have.

Back