• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Panamints on New Year's eve...

Jes

NAXJA Memeber #293 URF Racing
NAXJA Member
The Panamints in the winter are always a special place as is the whole desert for me. My POS has evolved into a pure rock crawler but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy exploring and driving on "easy roads".
We started out early on a chilly December 31st and were in Panamint Valley by 9:00 A.M...
standard.jpg

Got errosion?
standard.jpg

That's 11,049' Telescope Peak in the back ground.
This was the first time I ever missed my windsheild, I was really cold...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Some of the sights of Pleasant Canyon...
standard.jpg

Old cabin with the Argus range in the back ground...
standard.jpg

Stopping for a break...
standard.jpg

Storage shed...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Entering the park...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

My hard core expedition rig, the heater does work though...
standard.jpg

Letting the dogs play in the snow...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Roger's Pass, 7160'...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

...did I mention that I was cold? :D
Butte Valley and Stripped Butte...
standard.jpg

Death Valley and Nevada beyond...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Lone wild burro in Middle Park...
standard.jpg

Looking down South Park Canyon at Panamint Valley...
standard.jpg

Heading down the ice falls...
standard.jpg

The treacherous shelf road...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Near the bottom of the canyon it gets narrow...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

...definately not the place to be in a flash flood.
Panamint Valley...
standard.jpg

Andy climbing out of the canyon...
standard.jpg

...and down the winding road on one of the numerous alluvial fans...
standard.jpg

It was a lot warmer in the evening...
standard.jpg

Just an awesome place...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Good times.

Jes, you know there are a lot of people that would look at you cross eyed for thinking that is a beautiful place right?

I'm not one of them. I love the desert. Even driving across I-80 for work, I can always find something new to look at or see things from a different perspective, depending on how the light plays the shadows.

Jes, you know there are a lot of people that would look at you cross eyed for thinking that is a beautiful place right?

There are? Believe it or not, I like the desert better than the scenery of the Rubicon. I just find it to be home for me.
I agree with you on the shadows, unfortunately that day the clouds were playing just right so I couldn't find a good shadow shot. Plus by the time the sun was going down I was done with being cold all day and just wanted to jump in my truck and get warm.

Cool pics!

We were on the other side of the valley, exploring stuff outside of Tecopa.

Anyone at Stone or Briggs Cabins? How long did it take you to do the loop?

Thanks for sharing, Jes. Cool scenery and mining history pix. Have lots of good memories of wheelin with you and Andy, hope to do more in the furture.

Cool pics!

Anyone at Stone or Briggs Cabins? How long did it take you to do the loop?

There were a couple of Jeeps at Briggs. The loop took us a leisurely six hours as we did stop many times.

It had been several years since I had done that loop and the shelf road seems to have grown narrower. Here was 2007 when we were coming up it...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The bridge now has somemore reinforcement on top and coming down it with only seeing air on the passenger side was kinda scary.
standard.jpg

nice pics, it would be fun to plan a bigger run possible 5-10 rigs, i would love to do some exploring.

The bridge now has somemore reinforcement on top and coming down it with only seeing air on the passenger side was kinda scary.

I wonder how all that stuff got up there?

Back