• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Top Dead Center Method?

Pull out the #1 spark plug, stick your finger in the hole. Use a remote solenoid button or have a buddy turn the key in small increments. When your finger gets blown off the hole, you're approaching TDC. Now align the timing mark to "0" and you're there.

How accurate are you needing to be?If you are trying to "dial" in a cam,you need to do a "hard" stop in both directions of rotation.

Pull out all the spark plugs to make turning easier with the wrench. You have two times the front piston comes up to the top. Once for the exhaust stroke and once for the compression stroke. You need the top of the compression stroke. That is why you feel for air pressure at the spark plug hole.

You can also stick a screwdriver in the hole and when you feel it going up (crank the engine with a wrench) you know your getting close.
Hence, the_impaler..... I wouldn't use a screwdriver, or any metal object. A wooden dowel rod would be my choice.

What are you trying to accomplish?

No doubt he is trying to synch the cam sensor (from a recent post of his). With that in mind, I would pull the spark plugs to make it easier to turn the motor with the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt. Only turn in the direction that the motor normally runs, to eliminate timing chain slack. Turn until the timing mark on the balancer lines up with the mark on the timing chain cover/engine. Pull top off cam sensor and check where the holes line up for the toothpick. If it is 180 degrees off, turn the crank one more turn. Then fine-tune the sensor to line up the best. When complete, turn crank two more turns and recheck.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I have already changed out the crank sensor. I changed out the cam sensor last night. It ran for 7 minutes, then stalled and wouldn't start again. The old sensor was showing 0.00 ohms cold and 15 ohms after stalling, so I assumed it was bad. I didn't check the ohms on the new one, nor did I after installing it and getting it to stall, but I will today. Also, I'm going to check all wiring harnesses for wear.

Back