• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Dana 30?

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about the TJ Dana 30. Right now i have the non-disco 30 in my 91 but my have come across a deal on one out of a TJ with the super 30 upgrade, gears and locker. Is this an exact fit? Is it better? Or is the one i have a better axle. I think mine is the reverse cut gears and a TJ is not. Is that correct? All thoughts would help here.. Thanks

TJ axle should be the same and a bolt-in affair. Assuming the super 30 upgrade means it has been upgraded to 30 spline shafts. If it has, the axles will be stronger. Any variances in housing strength after the non-disco have been negligible.

you are correct, the TJ is low pinion while your 91 has a high pinion. The downside of the TJ axle is the low pinion, your driveshaft angles on the front will be worse and your ground clearance on the pinion will suffer but I think it's fine otherwise.

you are correct, the TJ is low pinion while your 91 has a high pinion. The downside of the TJ axle is the low pinion, your driveshaft angles on the front will be worse and your ground clearance on the pinion will suffer but I think it's fine otherwise.

Hmmmmm.... I had a feeling that the TJ had a low pinion. Wasn't sure though? If it's a really good deal i guess i could pull it apart for the shafts and locker, Then junk the rest? Are the shaft the same in both? I just don't see pulling a high pinion 30 out for a low pinion. Seems kind ass backwards to me.

From what I've seen it isn't THAT much different, YMMV though. I say rock it if it's cheap enough - say, under 50% the price of the locker. I'm almost certain that the carrier/locker and shafts will transfer to a high pinion just fine, so just keep your old non disconnect hp30 around till you feel like the lp30 is limiting you, then transfer the shafts/locker into the hp30 and regear it. If it's not a full case locker (i.e. can be removed without changing gear setup) you *might* even be able to play Musical Shafts/Locker and keep driving it on the lp30 open with your smaller hp30 shafts while regearing the hp30 etc.

Buy it and switch over the shafts and locker. I'm assuming the super 30 means it has a 30-spline ARB or OX locker with upgraded shafts?

Yeah, put that stuff in your HP30 and go wheel the crap out of it. Beware though, having 30 spline inners means you need custom 30sp shafts for replacements if you happen to break a u-joint and it takes out the ears or something like that.

Buy it and switch over the shafts and locker. I'm assuming the super 30 means it has a 30-spline ARB or OX locker with upgraded shafts?

Yeah, put that stuff in your HP30 and go wheel the crap out of it. Beware though, having 30 spline inners means you need custom 30sp shafts for replacements if you happen to break a u-joint and it takes out the ears or something like that.

I've heard stock TJ Rubicon shafts should fit, but can't verify it.

Everything but the r&p will swap out. TJ & XJ d30 are interchangelable. I would swap guts along with a fresh r&p into the hp30.

Back