• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird electrical problem *solved*

saki669

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I would post in case anyone had similar issues.

*the story*
For the past couple of years I have had strange issues with my passenger side tail lights. Here were the symptoms:

1. The bulbs were really dim when the headlights were on.
2. When the turn signal was on the brake and reverse light would flash really dimly.
3. When the brakes were applied *and* the headlights were on the flasher would click really fast like a bulb was out.

When I found out it was not bulb related I put up with the problem for a couple of years before getting up the courage to troubleshoot. At that point I suspected a grounding problem and didnt want to deal with it.

*the solution*

With a meter and FSM in hand I traced the wiring back from the lights to the power source. Everything checked out OK.
The ground side was the issue. It turns out that ground point #303G is located under the passenger side seat (under carpet if you still have it). The wire was broken off the connector. Replacing the connector and getting a nice ground contact fixed the problem.

On to the next issue....
:repair:

awesome, always great to hear a known working fix after the fact! too many people forget to post back results, leaving searchers unsure what fixed the issue.

ive heard there are similar grounding points under the spare tire interior panel, thanks for sharing your results!

Yes there is another one under the drivers side rear paneling behind the spare. I had problems with that one after I cut the roof off the XJ. I didn't get the ground back on right and the engine would stall out badly. Apparently grounds are important.....

Back