• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ body swap

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89, I found some rust cancer in the floor so thinking about swapping the drive train over, I also have a brand new motor. 1300 miles on it, up to what year can I use the Renix OBD1? Or can the computer and all be pulled out and put into a later body. For now im going to weld new sheet metal in the floor pans, but for further down the road I want to know what my options are. I put alot of $$$ in this motor so I dont want to buy a 98 and have to start over.

Thanks
Kenny

you can swap everything over to a newer body, but if you bought a newer one you could just transfer over the long block (everything from the oilpan to the valve cover) then use the sensors, intake manifold and everything attached to it from the newer motor and you would be all set. there were a few changes in the head port designs over the years but they stayed pretty much the same over the whole XJ production run. what changed the most was the sensors, computer, and smog related equipment.

I'm sure it is possible to swap a renix motor and all associated electronics over, but i think it would be more trouble than its worth.

Also, if you have emissions inspections, an older engine management system in a later chassis would never pass.
Like Grimm said, a long-block swap would be easy enough, at least up to '99. The 00-01 distributor-less Ignition system has a few structural changes to the head that would add to the fun

Cool. The motor now has no smog on it at all, and passed Washington DEQ. So intake & sensors are all? Cause I would hate to not be able to use the new motor. I have a D44 in the rear and a Aussie Locked D30 front, All the suspension is pretty new and the Tcase is rebuilt new. I was thinking of going after a 98 or 99 with a blown motor and or drive train.

Thanks, this really helps

Well 98-99 is OBD II so that wouls be a real emmisions/legal issue!

Pretty much everything non electrical engine wise would swap over, and your entire suspension and axles, tcase and trans would all swap over pretty easily. if it has a wire going to it use the new one. if it doesn't, keep whichever one is in better shape.

Cool. The motor now has no smog on it at all, and passed Washington DEQ. So intake & sensors are all? Cause I would hate to not be able to use the new motor. I have a D44 in the rear and a Aussie Locked D30 front, All the suspension is pretty new and the Tcase is rebuilt new. I was thinking of going after a 98 or 99 with a blown motor and or drive train.

Thanks, this really helps

It passed smog for an '89, but will it pass smog for a '99? It's not the same thing. In many states, you cannot substitute an older motor into a newer vehicle whether it passes smog tests or not. I know it's stupid, but you need to check it all out first. :passgas:

If you decide to do it anyway, don't rule out 2000/2001. They will be plentiful due to the head cracking issue. The coil rail will not affect you at all. You'll be eliminating all that stuff.

It woudn't be a Jeep Project with out a challenge. The 89 smog no problem, but your right an 98 would not. Seeing in the State of Washington I only have one more smog on my Jeep, then no more ever!! I just got hit this rust & cancer problem. I need to go wheeling!!!

I looked at a 2000, only hard part is finding one with a blown motor or running gear. Other wise there $$$ for what I want to do. My CJ was so much easier, but I really like the XJ.

Back