• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5... can it be swapped with other?

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
ok, weird title..
What i'm wondering is if there's any other manual transmissions that will fit instead of the AX5. Mods do not matter here, i just would like to know if it's doable.

As a twist, it would also point to alternative engines in front of said AX5..

Anyone?

Since you say AX5, that means you are running a 2.5L, correct?

If you go to pirate4x4 and do a search, someone put an AX-15 behind one a few years ago. It took some parts selections but it worked.

As far as an upgrade on the 2.5L, the best is to go with the stock Jeep 4.0L.

Actually i got a 2.1 diesel. Engines are getting harder to come by so i'm trying to research alternatives.
Thanx for the tip tho, i'll search pirate.

For putting the AX15 behind a 2.5l, look at the bellhousings from older Dakotas that had the V60 (?) bellhousing bolt pattern and used the AX15.

I don't know what the 2.1 diesel bell housing bolt pattern is.

Now i'm primarily thinking towards alternative engines so any engine that uses the ax5 or even certain yota-boxes should bolt to my ax5 through those engines original bellhousing - as the bolt pattern between the tranny and bellhousing is always the same. (or is it?)

the 2.1 liter renault turbo diesel has a completely different bellhousing than the 2.5 and 2.8 gas jobs....it is NOT a 60 degree bellhousing.

the input shaft is splined different as well as a different lenght than the typical ax5 as well...you cannot really get a decent swap done in this truck without ALOT of custom parts.

the ba10/5 was available behind the renault 2.1 liter in '88...but never in the states. your best bet is to search other countries for one and have it shipped over. it's not a great trans either...but it'll handle the '89 HP you have in your 2.1l just fine.

The Cadillac NorthStar 4.9l has a 60-degree pattern, but I seriously doubt the AX5 would survive behind it. One big problem when trying to mix-and-match based on the bellhousing pattern is that even if you get everything to bolt up, you may be stuck needing lots of custom machining to get a working clutch. It can quickly become cheaper to replace the tranny as well.

If you had a freshly rebuld AX15 you were trying to keep, it might be worth it. But a AX5 with lots of miles on it might not be worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks. This seems harder than i hoped..
Another way to go might be to rebuild motor- and tranny mounts and possibly fit a yota engine and tranny in place of the original stuff.

Fortunately i don't have do do this right away but i have a high mileage truck so it could proove itself necessary sonner than i'd like - thus my quest for options.

this is what the bellhousing pattern on a 2.1 is. that's my brand new motor (rest of the parts are on the shelf) :D

I love having the only MJ diesel around

SSPX0045.jpg

the 2.1 liter renault turbo diesel has a completely different bellhousing than the 2.5 and 2.8 gas jobs..

the input shaft is splined different as well as a different lenght than the typical ax5 as well.

So basically what you're saying is that the ax5 for the 2.1 is different from all other ax5's?
I need to find that "what would you want to slap an engineer for" thread on Pirate i think :laugh3:

Thanks for the input.

So basically what you're saying is that the ax5 for the 2.1 is different from all other ax5's?
I need to find that "what would you want to slap an engineer for" thread on Pirate i think :laugh3:

Thanks for the input.

the only real difference is the input shaft. different spline, different depth. so, to swap in an ax5...you have to gut both transmissions and partially remove some of the slide rails as well as the cross shaft.

neat, eh?

Neat.. yeah, that's what i was thinking.
Guess i'll be keeping the 2.1 setup or look further into swapping both engine and tranny. I remember seing some Brazilian (?) guy running a yota 3.0 in his xj.. that would be interesting.

IIRC the peugot ba10/5 was used from 87 on up behind 2.1 renaults. you'd have luck finding one where you're at....we have almost zero parts for renault 2.1's in the states, but in europe you're almost certainly gonna find one

Yeah, i'm not worried about finding a replacement tranny. My concern is finding a replacement engine, preferrably one with more power than the 2.1.
This is why i'm searcing for complete engine+tranny swaps.

Back