• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMPPE Build

Blind Driver

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I figured I would start a build thread. I called it My AMPPE build because that is the name of the eye disease that I have. It is extremely rare so I figures that it would be unique. Now being 17 I rarely make any money so this is going to be a slow build but a gradual one. So I started with a 1999 Cherokee limited with 132,000 miles.
IMG_1167.jpg

So the first mod was an Allview mirror. Now anyone who flies and has seen skymall knows exactly what I am talking about. I take a lot of crap from my friends but it is the one thing I recommend to everyone.
51OP5pU6zBL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

So I was driving to school and all of a sudden I couldn't see because my windshield got all foggy. I made to to school fine but on the way home I hit a car. Luckily I just slid into him and none was hurt and he was fine so no harm no foul.
IMG_0018-Copy.jpg

I got into my accident on December 2 luckily a few days after Black Friday in which I had capitalized and ordered a Pre-runner winch bumper and a stage 1 rear from JCR.
IMG_0004.jpg

So I started by doing my front bumper. Its the more noticeable of the two and the one I really wanted. I started by Priming it with Duplicolor self etching primer. However the primer doesn't work when its to cold so we had to heat my garage and the best way to do that was with a camping stove.
IMG_0011.jpg

So we primed it and then painted it with Duplicolor bedliner.
IMG_0014-Copy.jpg
IMG_0009-Copy.jpg
IMG_0017-Copy.jpg

Then came the install. We started to take it off by the end caps.
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg

Then we pulled the rest of the bumper off.
IMG_0022-Copy.jpg

We then tried to put the tie in brackets on but they wouldn't line up and it was a choice of grinding the brackets or drilling them. We chose to grind them so some sparks flew.
IMG_0023.jpg

when all was said and done we took a lot of metal out.
IMG_0025.jpg

We got the brackets on and trimmed and then it was time to cut off ome spalsh guard.
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg

And when that was all done we mounted it and tightened everything down.
IMG_0032.jpg

looks good. That mirror is pretty damn awesome.

Ever figure out what caused the fog problem? It could be the heater core going bad.

Like that rearview mirror a lot.............might have to look into one of those!!

looks good any day time pics outside?

They couldn't have made the heater any harder to get to, could they? Whole dash out,...

That's a nice looking bumper. Getting a winch for it?

Ok so I have been having some eye problems so this is all from last weekend
we primed and painted the rear bumper
IMG_0040-Copy.jpg

IMG_0041-Copy.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

while we were painting we also removed the rear bumper.
the first thing we did was cut off the end caps. I didn't want to screw it up so I left myself plenty of room so I could trim it to the right length
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Then I removed the strip between the bumper and the car.
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Then we undid the bolts at the bottom of the bumper and this took no time. However the bolts on the top were another story. They are hard to get to but you can see it in this picture.
IMG_0049.jpg

Once the top bolt comes off the bumper just comes right off. Then after two days of work half a can of pb-blaster and a breaker bar I was able to take my hitch off. However since it took so long I forgot to take pictures. I will try to take a pic of the back of my car without anything on it tomorrow.

Big question do I spend the time to clean up the hitch, which is rusted beyond belief, and paint it or do I say to hell with it and just put the bumper on without it. I don't tow often and my dad has a big f-150 if I ever really need to tow anything. I am leaning towards paining it but I want your opinion.

Paint it and put it back on. The D ring mounts dont look like they go through the bumper just welded to the front and the mounting points on the bumper are to the factory mounting location. I would think that the new bumper may not be strong enough to tug on if you sink the jeep in mud. If the bumper is strong enough than you could bend the mounting point on the unibody. I would feel safer pulling on the hitch.

Does yours have the nutstrips for the bumper? Mine did so I didn't reinstall the hitch. But then I also got the stage 4 with the incorporated hitch.

it came withe the nut strip but i realize that the hitch ties in further and always makes a great backup tow point.

My plans are like everyone else. lift bumpers rack, and lights. I don't want to go to high probably 2-3 inches. i plan of off-roading not crawling so Im not thinking anything to extreme

Ok so the drug they gave me to help my eyes has made me photosensitive to sunlight and halogen bulbs so that is why the pictures appear darker, we had to cover all the windows.

Last night we prepped primed and painted the hitch.
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Then this morning we installed the hitch and bumper.
here is a picture of the car without anything one the rear
IMG_0065.jpg

Then we trimmed the end caps to their exact point
IMG_0067.jpg

Then we put the hitch on
IMG_0068.jpg

Then the rear bumper
IMG_0074.jpg

So now the rear end is all finished up. We decided not to use the tie-in brackets because they weren't aligned right and I realized that if I ever need to be pulled from the rear I will use the hitch over the bumper.

Ok so as an early graduation present my parents got me a lift and tires. I decided to go with the rough country series II 3 inch lift. For tires I went with Dick Cepek FCII's. I have a few pics but their from my phone. I dropped it off at the mechanics last nigh to get it all installed and he called today to say that they sent the wrong u-bolts. The new ones should be in on Wednesday and then it will be all finished up. When that happens I will put up some new pictures from the good camera.
0416001549.jpg

0420001530.jpg

Ok sorry I haven't posted picture of the jeep. I have been pretty busy and it has slipped my mind. The lift rides a little rough but it is much better than it used to be. The tires are great, they look good and stop well. All in all it is awesome. There is only one problem. When I hit a bump there is a knock from the rear end. I checked but there is no rubbing or parts hitting. My dad made sure that my rear swaybar stayed on so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Let me know if you have any ideas.

The old
IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

The mew
IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

Back