• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Front and 9" Rear Ratio Question??

wil4thril

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking for an answer to this for a bit and have had no luck. (I'm sure someone knows exactly where to look!)

The question:

I want to put a 9" in the rear of my XJ with either 4.86 or 5.14 gears. The problem is that neither of those ratios match a 30/44/60 which uses 4.88 or 5.13. I read an article in one of the off road mags (a long time ago) that said as long as you were within +-.02 you should not have any issues. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Second that. Difference is 2/100 of a rotation. You end up with more variation turning a corner resulted by the different path traveled by the rear wheels.

Fourth-ed!
I am running 3.50 rear, 3.54 front.

Plus you should end up with hubs, so it will matter even less at higher speeds. I think the "acceptable" number is about 3%-ish difference.

Run it

5.38s in the front 44 and 5.43s in the rear 9" ..............no problems

Ford ran the 9-inch/D-44 combo in all their light trucks/broncos for a long time. The 1-2 point difference in ratios makes no difference. It's not a problem.

Did't know thats even possible?:huh:

didnt know whats possible? that the front d44 is 4.56's and rear ford 9" is 4.56's? idk man it might be a different gear ratio in the rear. i just heard him sayin he is running 4.56's and wishing he would of went 4.88's. im more than likely a 100% wrong. it was probably just easier for him to say he is running 4.56's . my bad

Back