• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

final quick questions before I trim my 97 xj

delp1213

NAXJA Forum User
I am running 31's, I rub a little when turning sometimes, and when flexing on the trail. My flares are all messed up and have falling off. So I figure Ill trim up to the holes where the bolts that held to old brackets on were.

Heres my final questions, and yes Ive searched and searched this for a long time.

Will a dremel with the metal cutting disks work? I dont care about time, I want to have a nice even good looking cut.

Front
1) if Im only trimming about an inch or so do I need to move the washer bottle?
2) Can I leave the wheel well liners in? If I take them out what holes to I have to plug, and if I dont is debris and water going to get into the interior ofthe car?

Rear
1) I know I cant cut the pinch seem, but can I cut right up to the bottom edge of it? My concern is that I want to trim I put on after to cover the old holes in the body.
2) same as # 2 for the front.

thats it for now.
all opinions and answers are greatly appreciated as always

Read 53guy's fender trimming thread...it is (or was) in the FAQ as well as having separate front and rear triming writeups in Mod Tech. (which is where this question belongs)

I trimmed mine like that, and then put the plastic back in, and everytime i do a full stuff, it catches the plastic, and ended up tearing it out. So my nest step is to use some 18 gauge cold roll steel, and basically make my own inner fender covers just to cover up the hole in the fender twards the door, and protect my washer jug. I have rustys flares, so i should be able to poprivit the cold roll into place behind the flare, and to the pinch seam that is about 6 inches in. When i do it, im going to go ahead and flatten that pinch seam down flat all the way too. I keep cutting my tires on it, but flat, it will give me a good place to rivit to.

Back