• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn doesn't work, faint clicking down near fuse box.

PUNISHER VETTE

NAXJA Forum User
So I just replaced my clockspring on my 98 sport which solved my cruise and airbag light problems.

Only thing it didn't fix was my horn still doesn't work. When i push it i can hear a faint clicking down by the fuse area on the passenger side.

I went through all the fuses a while back and couldn't find one that was bad...

Any hints on what to look for?

That is exactly what mine does, I just borrow a horn from a friend every year when I need to pass inspection :thumbup:

x2 on it being the horn itself.

I have this problem also. It was blowning a fuse, replace the fuse and horn worked unless i laid on it for a few seconds and it would blow fuse again.
I hear the realy clicking, put a test light on the passenger horn wire and did not get anything. Didn't try the drivers side horn. I was hoping to find the wire in the engine compartment and use that wire to trigger another relay to a cheapy HF air horn until I can figure it out the right way.
Mine is a 2000, no cruise control. My washer pump doesn't work either. The rear one died a while ago. 1 of the 2 pumps works, I hooked them up to a battery. I don't think its the clock spring as I hear the relay clicking by the fuse box. Any ideas? I gotta fix this in the next day or 2 as I am heading on vacation this week and need a horn for the 10+ hour drive towing a trailer.

This may be obvious but make sure the horn is grounding itself when you bolt it on. Mine quit working until I made sure the ground was good.

I can not even get a test light to light up from tthe horn wire.

I can not even get a test light to light up from tthe horn wire.

The horns can be accessed by pulling back the wheel well liner at the front bumper end caps.

Pull the connector off the horn. Inspect it and the spade on the horn for corrosion. If corroded use a bit of penetrating oil spayed into a small container then using a small stiff bristle brush, like an acid brush, scrub the spade and pin cavity of the connector until the corrosion is gone, then spray both down with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

The horn is chassis grounded through the body of the horn. Like themauler said, make sure the horn is grounded properly. Reaching up through the wheel well liner, use a 1/2" open end, or box end, wrench to remove the horn attachment nut (you may have to soak the nut with penetrating oil for awhile to free up the nut). Remove the horn. Verify the contact surfaces between the horn and its mount bracket are free from corrosion. Then remount.

You can check the horn for battery voltage by using a voltmeter ot test lamp. Probe the connector pin cavity (+) and place the (-) probe on the horn mount bracket nut or horn mount stud. Have a helper activate the horn. Check for strong battery voltage. If the voltage is very low, suspect high resistance in the circuit, which will need to be found and corrected. Suspect the horn relay, connector C2 in the JB, or a splice in the wiring harness.

~~~~~~

Just because you hear the horn relay clicking doesn't mean the relay is transferring power accross its power contacts. THe clicking may only be the relay control coil pulling in.

Fuse #21 (15 Amp) in the Junction Block is the power fuse for both horns. Pull the fuse and check it with an Ohmeter or just simply replace it. Power leaves F21 to the horns throgh connector C2 on the JB.

Here's the JB. You can see #21 and the horn relay. If you need to gain full access to the JB, pic follows.

99XJJunctionBlock-1.jpg

JBACCESS-1.jpg

1989, renix XJ 4.0L/AW4/231 base model. So, my stock horns have not worked since I owned my heep, I removed the horns themselves LONG ago. I am installing a HF (dunno brand name) air horn. Does anyone know which wire to tap into to use the horn button on the steering wheel?
With the the key on, when I push the "button" the relay clicks.

So I just replaced my clockspring on my 98 sport which solved my cruise and airbag light problems.

Only thing it didn't fix was my horn still doesn't work. When i push it i can hear a faint clicking down by the fuse area on the passenger side.

I went through all the fuses a while back and couldn't find one that was bad...

Any hints on what to look for?
I had same problem. Horn button caused relay clicking but to horn actuation. Checked all grounds, power etc. Here is what I found: Relay was bad. Yes, it clicked. The coil side of the relay functioned, but the contact side of the relay was dead. Really deceiving. Seems that if it clicks, it works. NOT! Replaced the relay and all worked well. 96 XJ Sport 2 door 4 x 4.

Back