• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help understanding...

Manimal

NAXJA Forum User
I have a feeling this may sound stupid,"BUT".....I am not understanding the transfer case drop theory. Wouldn't it increase the angle of the front driveshaft? It seams that you're robbing peter to pay paul..? I have had many 4wds but all where FS chevy and Ford,OH and I do have an '87 Grand Wagoneer too. and I have never heard of installing a transfer case drop...? Please ed-u-kate me. Thanks
-Lance

the transfer case drop lowers the entire transmission cross member, efectivley dropping the tcase and trans, and raising the front of the motor slightly. since it is lowering the front and rear of the tcase the same amount, I dont see how it would increase the front angle.

The main purpose of the drop is to get the slip yoke on the rear output to push back into the tcase just enough to eliminate vibration. the front can handle the angles because of the double cardon joint.

Forgot about the double cardan joint, Ok Thanks. See I said it would be stupid.
-Lance

Good question, and you're right, it does increase the front angle.

The front driveshaft can take it though, where the rear needs the help. :)

Good question, and you're right, it does increase the front angle.

The front driveshaft can take it though, where the rear needs the help. :)

Cal is 100% correct. In addition, when I did this, the cross member dragged a lot going over obstacles .
When I lifted my XJ the first time, it was only a 2" budget boost. To get rid of the of the vibes, I dropped the cross member 1". For offroading I ended up with only 1" of actual lift. I now have an HD sye and aTom Woods double cardan drive shaft. The 'T' case is at the OEM height and no vibes.

We do. Look at an SYE equipped XJ. Double cardan joint at the tcase, single u-joint at the rear axle.

Back