• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable MAP sensor

Exxon Valdez Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. I have a stroker in my Renix xj, so therefore an adjustable MAP sensor would be desired. Is there any difference between and adjustable MAP sensor for a Renix system and a HO system? It seems like all the diagrams on building one are being used in a HO, am I missing something?

I built one for my Renix years ago and it works fine. I'll assume you understand the principal of what a MAP does, and how the ECM interprets its voltage output. The RENIX uses a typical 5 volt MAP sensor, so anything you build that regulates the voltage to be slightly higher relative to the adjuster's voltage input (sensor output) will accomplish the end result. It's an analog device, not digital, so any basic adjuster (which is really a regulator of an external 12 volts controlled by the sensor's output voltage) will do.

Last edited:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17010_600.htm

I believe this is what you might be looking for. It might be worth the money if you've never messed with electronics and soldering before. I was looking for information on whether it is adjustable and if so, how to adjust it to the optimum level etc. Hope this helps.

That's the one. There is no definitive setting without using external instruments to measure the results of your combustion. Whether you build one or buy one, it is going to be an experimentation process, and your setting will vary from that of someone else, especially considering the variations in engine setups (fed/CA emissions, ECM model number, auto/man, air filters, filter housings, intake tubes, heads, cams, stroked engines, headers, etc.)

I guess all I need is a passenger and a multimeter to adjust the setting. If their values to shoot for at Wide Open Throttle for the O2 sensor (.850mV an .900mV) are correct, then it shouldn't be too hard to set. I've been looking at building one to help solve my gas mileage problem, but that article gives a great way to check my O2 sensor to see if I'm running in open loop mode. I'll make sure its running is closed loop mode as a first step.

As simplistic as the Renix system is, you have no control over whether or not it is in open or closed loop mode; that is, your only control is knowing when it's in open loop. That's the nature of how the processor works based on the inputs it receives.

Good luck.

Back