• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 vertical oil filter adapter question

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to change the o-rings in my OFA, which is vertical on my '92. I've considered turning it to the horizontal position, but I'm curious if it is really that big of an improvement. I've searched and some people talk about the oil draining out of the filter when turned off, but then I've read a few remarks that seem to indicate these filters use an anti drain valve to keep them from emptying. I'll be installing a larger Mobil1 M301 filter. Eventually I'd like to do an oil filter relocation with a dual filter adapter, but don't plan to do that right now and must change those leaky o-rings and old oil today. Any input on turning that OFA would be appreciated, thanks!

Late response, but as long as you use a quality oil filter with a silicone anti-drain back valve, not the crap Nitrile rubber valves that you will find on the "budget" filters.

As for vertical vs. horizontal, there may be slight advantage in the horizontal for keeping things a bit cleaner during changes.

I was at the JY the other day looking for a used 4.0 and the guy there said you can eliminate the OFA on the 4.0 in an XJ and use the Neon oil filter directly on th eblock with no clearance issues. Anyone had any experience with this?

I was at the JY the other day looking for a used 4.0 and the guy there said you can eliminate the OFA on the 4.0 in an XJ and use the Neon oil filter directly on th eblock with no clearance issues. Anyone had any experience with this?

I believe the JY guy is correct. However, I would definitely think long and hard about removing the 1/2 quart stock filter for a reduced capacity Neon filter.

Go to wixfilters.com and check the specs.

51085 is stock, 1/2 quart capacity.
51515 fits perfectly, horizontal or vertical, and is 1 quart capacity.
51773 fits perfectly, vertical only, and is 2 quart capacity.

51348 is the Dodge Neon filter. It is physically smaller than the 1/2 quart stock size filter. I don't think I like the idea of reducing the oil capacity and filtering media surface area.

Also, the Dodge Neon filter is highly recommended for the Yugo and Lawn Equipment, per Wix. LMAO!

The advantage of the verticle, is you can put as large of a filter as you want, with minimal to no clearance issues. Soon, I'm probably going to run a remote filter system.
Anyone running a dry sump 4.0L or stroker?

I actually like the vertical filter on my 92, vs the horizontal filter on my 1994. I'm a little ham-handed, and broke the pressure sending unit on the OFA on my 94, trying to get the filter off. (Now I just unplug it when I change the filter.) On the 92, I usually don't have to use a filter wrench to loosen it off; it's just that much easier!

:)

does this include renix XJ's as well?

The Renix engines have a metric thread, HOWEVER your local friendly Jeep dealer can sell you a part to convert to SAE thread, about $9, part number 53007563AB.

Remove the filter, remove the tall metric threaded "nipple", replace with the SAE thread adapter, re-install the filter. Less than 5 minute upgrade at your next oil change.

IF YOU DO THIS: There is usually a yellow decal with black lettering on the firewall above the oil filter that warns people working on the engine that the filter is metric--you probably would want to change that to say SAE, and even though I do my own oil changes I mark the filter ends "SAE" too just in case something happens.

Back