• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft boot

jwalter04

NAXJA Forum User
Any ideas where to get a replacement for a drive shaft boot on a stock 99. One way or another mine is ripped in half and instead of keeping out dirt and water its retaining it. I searched through the treads but all I could find was reminders to put it back on when re-assembling your drive-line.

unfortunatly i had to get mine from the dealer =( BTW i used zip ties to hold it on. the factory clamps on those one time use. what i did was, on each end use 2 zip ties but clamp them 180 degree's apart. Plus where there is the space for the clamp on each end of the boot, is the perfect width for two standard zip ties right next to each other. If you want to be slick you can even use black zip ties lol.

http://www.just4jeep.com these guys have one listed under XJ but i'd check to make sure its right. Your best bet is to get the PN from the dealer and then search on ebay/google it and i'm sure you'll find it.

PS dont add a bunch of grease thinking it will help things, just lightly grease the splines and call it good. Mine broke b/c i thought i was gonna be slick and threw some grease in there to 'help things last longer' and from spinning at high rpm it stretched the boot out and exploded grease everywhere. Yes that was a dumbass move on my part.

Last edited:
Use a shock boot!

Use a shock boot!

You could, but a shock boot is markedly thinner than a driveline boot. In our applications we might occasionally rub the drivline over an obstacle or two. Having the peace of mind afforded by the thicker boot is well worth the additional $10.

I too had to go the dealer route, it was about $15 two years ago, however for the clamps the wanted like $30, so I used Thermal ties. Worked flawlessly until I put the SYE in about 2 months later.

You could, but a shock boot is markedly thinner than a driveline boot. In our applications we might occasionally rub the drivline over an obstacle or two. Having the peace of mind afforded by the thicker boot is well worth the additional $10.

If you can drag that boot over a rock,your doing it wrong and need major t-case protection.Besides that it doesnt do much anyway!

Back