• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Rise, Fall, And Rebirth (In Progress) Of An XJ

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
The BarneyMobile when I purchased it in November 2003 (6 years ago):

13006Jeep.jpg

How it looked in February 2007 after I joined NAXJA:

13006DavidJeep_008_Resize.jpg

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L H.O. engine
AW4 automatic transmission
AMC (Dana) 30 non-disconnect front differential (3.55:1)
Chrysler 8.25" 27-spline rear differential (3.55:1)
NP231 transfer case
Advanced Adapters Heavy Duty slip yoke eliminator
Tom Wood custom double cardan driveshaft
Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Flex lift kit (netted 5")
Rubicon Express .75" coil spacers
Rubicon Express Generation 2 disconnects
Old Man Emu nitrogen-charged shocks
Rubicon Express adjustable track bar
Torq Flo 10,000# transmission cooler
31-tooth factory speedometer gear
32X11.50X15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A KO tires
Cragar 15X8 Soft 8 wheels with 4" backspacing
Optima "Red Top" battery
CSF triple-core radiator

Fast forward to October 29, 2009 when this 4-point buck stepped into my path:

Jeep_Buck.jpg

Jeep_Damage.jpg

In late November after I was done with deer season, I tore into it:

Jeep_Disassembled.jpg

I replaced the OEM plastic-tanked radiator with an all-metal triple-core CSF radiator, and also had to replace the AC condenser, the entire header panel assembly, mechanical fan shroud, electric fan, power steering pump pulley, serpentine belt, radiator hoses, and bumper.

A friend in the metal fabricating business came out to my house and straightened my lower radiator support with a come-a-long, hammer, and dolly.

A work in progress:

Jeep_Frontless.jpg

Jeep_Assembly.jpg

I got a heavy-duty bumper from JCR Offroad, which arrived here Christmas Eve. It's the Stage 2 with a lean-forward hoop, D-rings, and uni-body tie-in brackets. I'll be ordering the matching Stage 2 rear bumper after the first of the year.

Tonight, my friend went to work on it some more:

My friend Alan cutting my driver's side fender off to match the passenger side, which he cut off moments before:

Fender_Cutting.jpg

The Jeep after both fender fronts were cut off. Alan used a laser level to get the correct lines, then cut them off with a cutting wheel:

Fenderless.jpg

The unfinished bumper sitting on a forklift:

Forklift_Bumper.jpg

The bumper attached for a test fit:

Bumper_Test_Fit.jpg

Tomorrow, Alan is going to fabricate side protection pieces for it. JCR Offroad said that they could get the bumper to me quicker if it came without side protection, and Alan said he could make them for free (what a good buddy.) Then we'll paint and primer it, and she'll be road worthy again. :sunshine:

Hopefully next week I'll be ordering 4.56 gears and master kits, possibly Detroit True Tracs front and rear, and a rear bumper.

Today's progress:

Alan tacking on the side protection pieces that he fabricated:

Tack_Welding.jpg

Alan finishing up the final welds:

Bumper_Welding.jpg

The bumper ready for primer and paint:

Completed_Bumper.jpg

With the holiday weekend coming up, Alan is going to take a little break (I'm working him like a borrowed mule), so it will probably be next week before it's mounted and I'm back on the road. By the way, he's a member here, but I don't know what his screen name is.

Looks great! Just FYI, I believe welding or modifying JCR's bumpers voids their warranty. They may or may not notice it, but hey. I only mention this because I had to send one back for repair after finding a tree the hard way.

Looks great! Just FYI, I believe welding or modifying JCR's bumpers voids their warranty. They may or may not notice it, but hey. I only mention this because I had to send one back for repair after finding a tree the hard way.

Thanks for the heads-up. I understand that they have a "no fault" warranty, but if it is damaged by my own foolishness, I have no plans to make them repair or replace it. They shouldn't be held accountable for me breaking it. If it is ever damaged, I'll either have my friend repair it, or I'll buy a new one. :rof:

Jeep_Cherokee_006_Resize.jpg

Jeep_Cherokee_002_Resize.jpg

Well, thanks to help from my friend Alan, I now have both JCR Offroad bumpers installed. Yesterday I installed two new Timken hubs and new front axle u-joints as well. I also had it regeared with 4.56's recently. Slowly but surely this thing is coming back together better than it was before the deer crossed my path. Sort of like "The Six Million Dollar Man":

"Barney, '96 XJ. A Jeep barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build a purple mall crawler. Barney will be that XJ. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

:roflmao:

Nice license plate. Why/how do you have a front plate too?

Since I own a registered M16 rifle, I have had that state-issued personalized plate for many years. A couple of years ago, the BMV decided that it was no longer a "politically correct" message, and denied my claim for renewal. My state senator put the pressure on them, and got them to change their mind and approve it. I just put my new plates on the rear each year, and put the expired ones on the front. Now that I no longer have a front license plate holder, that tradition has come to an end.

Back