• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Had my AW4 rebuilt...Now it shifts soft!!

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
So the jeep wouldn't shift out of first gear, took it to a transmission shop, they said it needed a rebuild, they did an overhauls including all clutches, steels, solenoids, torque converter, etc. Got it back and it shifts but it just seems to take to long to shift, not that it revs to high before shifting, just that it shifts slow, like a old lady car!! Is this weird, should I take it back to the shop?

So the jeep wouldn't shift out of first gear, took it to a transmission shop, they said it needed a rebuild, they did an overhauls including all clutches, steels, solenoids, torque converter, etc. Got it back and it shifts but it just seems to take to long to shift, not that it revs to high before shifting, just that it shifts slow, like a old lady car!! Is this weird, should I take it back to the shop?

If you have a tranny power switch make sure it is on, and they likely adjusted your throttle kickdown so may feel different

It's a '99, it doesn't have a power switch, They did adjust the transmission line pressure cable. I checked that and adjusted it again, it's fine. Just shifts slow, seems sluggish.

Make sure they used the right ATF in it? Should be Dex/Merc, NOT ATF+4 or any other kind that is not Dex/Merc compatible.

Geez, I guess I'll have to take it back again to the shop, I already had to go back because they installed my trans/t-case crossmember backwards and the passenger side crossmember bolts were stripped and would not torque down properly. I want my money back!!!!

oh man, hope they will back themselves up and get everything straight on your Jeep on your next visit.

Otherwise if my XJ need new trans, I'll just swap in another working AW4 for lot less $$ and for sure it will works. I read that many guys on here running the AW4 way too long, pretty much as long as the engine does if not, longer. Hell I know a guy on craigslist will sell AW4 woth 200k miles for $40 LOL.

AW4's always shift sluggishly like an old ladies car. They shift wierd and the converter locks up wierd. But ask the tranny shop what fluid they use for your transmission without letting on that you know the answer is DEXIII. Search for some threads on here to find out more about tranny fluid. I hope you have a good tranny shop. There must be some reputable ones, although I haven't found one yet. As a rule, they are rip-off artists.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

Last edited:
Just a follow up, did you find the problem?

Did the shop do a line-pressure test and what were the readings?

Should have 53~61 psi at curb idle and 161~196 psi at WOT, per FSM 90.

mr peters, did lightening strike you while holding 10 yrs of fsm's? :rof:you are a naxja asset!

mr peters, did lightening strike you while holding 10 yrs of fsm's? :rof:you are a naxja asset!

I wish I had all of the FSMs! Knowledge is power, and I thirst for power!

First time I've been called an asset, but I have often been called an A**.

Back