• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atf to oil

islandbum

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever heard of adding a quart of auto.trans. fluid in place of one quart of oil to clean the engine?
Read it in a magazine wanted to know about real world.

For before an oil change, seafoam would be best.. not recommended for more than 500-1000 miles max.
Thats why you just run some MMO, works good and doesnt mess anything up.

I am a fan of adding things through the intake, and in the gas tank, but not for adding stuff to the oil. IMO you will notice zero difference, and just increase wear on the engine since you replaced some of the oil w/ ATF. I say skip it.

the reason you add the atf is that is has more detergents in it to clean out sludge plus it conditions seals

the reason you add the atf is that is has more detergents in it to clean out sludge plus it conditions seals

Bingo. I'm not sure about running it for a whole DAY. I heard you should just add it and let the car idle for 30 and then do an oil change.

Wow, I wouldn't go 500 miles, but I'm sure it'd be OK. Jeep dealership used ATF to free up a stuck lifer on my old TJ. It works, you'll notice when changing the oil that its really dirty.

I know someone that used to fill his motor with kerosene every time he changed his oil, definatly would not recommend that. The motor did last for over 300k though.

I used seafoam through the intake. Smoked like hell, no help.

You can try the ATF trick, but to me, I would just change the oil a couple of extra times. Is yours dirty or do you have lifter noise? I would add a can of liquid wrench or Mystery Marvel Oil to free lifters up if that is the problem.

I would go ahead and do it, run it for a few days, then change the oil. You can also try gunk engine cleaner. You add it to the crankcase and let the engine idol for about 10 minutes, then drain. I've done it on a few engines and it seemed to make the oil coming out almost black. Never hurt anything and I kept those cars quite a long time without any engine problems.

You can try the ATF trick, but to me, I would just change the oil a couple of extra times. Is yours dirty or do you have lifter noise? I would add a can of liquid wrench or Mystery Marvel Oil to free lifters up if that is the problem.

No lifter noise or anything like that it was just something I had read about to clean the engine and at 133000 or so I just thought it might be a good idea.

Why waste a quart of ATF and then have to change the oil again?

Use a diesel motor oil, like Shell Rotella 10w30 dino from Wal-Mart, and just use it all the time. It will clean the motor, and without the waste.

I did this on a 2.8l bronco ii motor, 1 qrt atf ran for 5 min, changed oil, and she smoked like hell after that, had to put her down, dont know if the "gunk" was sealing my valves or what but it didnt work for me

Back