• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reliable Metal supplier

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I am looking to find a reliable metal suppleir in socal. The one I previously used has decided that doubling thier prices and charging for delivery when our shop is less than 2 minutes from eachother is good business. My employer Essex Crane buy about $3000 in steel plate in a average month not to mention all the 4340 and T-1 we have to use for structural repairs, so I need to find a well stocked supplier.

Anyone have some one they have good results with I can give a try????

dzraces said:
Hey guys I am looking to find a reliable metal suppleir in socal. The one I previously used has decided that doubling thier prices and charging for delivery when our shop is less than 2 minutes from eachother is good business. My employer Essex Crane buy about $3000 in steel plate in a average month not to mention all the 4340 and T-1 we have to use for structural repairs, so I need to find a well stocked supplier.

Anyone have some one they have good results with I can give a try????

I got a good hook up at a great place in ontario I think it was. I have all the info saved at work. Post it in the morning. I do know HER name is Jenny.. :)

Probably no help but the two I know of are Schore metals in Yorba Linda (I think) or Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine. If you can work with what there discounting Schore Metals has better prices.

slowrider said:
Probably no help but the two I know of are Schore metals in Yorba Linda (I think) or Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine. If you can work with what there discounting Schore Metals has better prices.
FU#$ Schore metal! They are rip off's! But I will say I go there alot since they do have a good assortment, but if you can meet the min order another source then DONT buy from schore... Not to mention they dont even have DOM....

dzraces said:
Thanks I look forward to this info since ontario is pretty close

Ok sorry it was rialto, but since they have delivered every order I have made I forgot exactly where they are.... Call Jenny below or just simply email her with a request for what you need and she will get right back to ya (typically).

As a FYI, when I was looking for DOM about 8months ago 1.75 x 120 was only 3.39ft delivered and 1.5 x 120 was 2.85. At the time no one was even close to that. and at 300' and 200' they saved me like 400$ I think it was, from the next cheapest source I could find..

Tubular Steel Inc.
Jenny Ames
Account Manager
[email protected]
Phone (909) 429-6900
Phone (909) 429-6909

2750 N. Locust Ave.
Rialto, CA 92376
(800) 388-7498
Fax: (909) 429-6939

Every supplier listed in this thread is a re-seller. You will always get "off the street" pricing from these folks. You mention you only do about 3K a month... That's not enough to interest any service centers, unless you can possibly get an "in" with a sales rep.

A service center is loosely defined as an entity that has contracts directly with a mill, say USS Possco, or Cal Steel, which used to be Kaiser. They also mix in supply from offshore when suited.

To get a contract out of USS Possco or Cal is a major deal. I worked for an entity that consumed in excess of 180,000 tons a month in rolled product, and they couldn't get one. The steel industry is very tightly controlled from the top, and supply lines from the mill down are controlled by the mills themselves.

There are a few exceptions in Stainless and Aluminum, and Exotic Areospace products. But by and large, unless you have some pretty serious demand, you'll be dealing with re-sellers, i.e., retail. Even if you are a manufacturer, mostly due to credit demands, and Service Centers wanting to keep customer lists down to hi flow, low overhead volume buyers.

SoCal steel service centers.

Maas Hansen
Staub
Douglas
Reliance
Etc..

MetalWest is starting to make some inroads into SoCal.

Second Tier distributors (they buy from Service centers, and in some cases re-sell off the street).

Borrman
Industrial Metals
Tube Service
Coast Aluminum and Stainless
Bralco
Rolled Steel
Etc...

If you are a business, resale, start with Bormann and Industrial for plate. You're pricing will still be at least 30 to 50 percent higher than from a service center based on, say, 10 tons a week.

You guys getting tube, you have almost no choice, re-sellers. But it's not as bad as you would think. Re-sellers very often are dumping their stock rems off at or just below cost when you get really good pricing, which is good for guys off the street. If you need a consistent supply and price, well, then you run into trouble with them.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Every supplier listed in this thread is a re-seller. You will always get "off the street" pricing from these folks. You mention you only do about 3K a month... That's not enough to interest any service centers, unless you can possibly get an "in" with a sales rep.

A service center is loosely defined as an entity that has contracts directly with a mill, say USS Possco, or Cal Steel, which used to be Kaiser. They also mix in supply from offshore when suited.

To get a contract out of USS Possco or Cal is a major deal. I worked for an entity that consumed in excess of 180,000 tons a month in rolled product, and they couldn't get one. The steel industry is very tightly controlled from the top, and supply lines from the mill down are controlled by the mills themselves.

There are a few exceptions in Stainless and Aluminum, and Exotic Areospace products. But by and large, unless you have some pretty serious demand, you'll be dealing with re-sellers, i.e., retail. Even if you are a manufacturer, mostly due to credit demands, and Service Centers wanting to keep customer lists down to hi flow, low overhead volume buyers.

SoCal steel service centers.

Maas Hansen
Staub
Douglas
Reliance
Etc..

MetalWest is starting to make some inroads into SoCal.

Second Tier distributors (they buy from Service centers, and in some cases re-sell off the street).

Borrman
Industrial Metals
Tube Service
Coast Aluminum and Stainless
Bralco
Rolled Steel
Etc...

If you are a business, resale, start with Bormann and Industrial for plate. You're pricing will still be at least 30 to 50 percent higher than from a service center based on, say, 10 tons a week.

You guys getting tube, you have almost no choice, re-sellers. But it's not as bad as you would think. Re-sellers very often are dumping their stock rems off at or just below cost when you get really good pricing, which is good for guys off the street. If you need a consistent supply and price, well, then you run into trouble with them.

--ron

BLAW BLAW BLAW :D

the Question that stands still... Ron tell us where to get the best deal on 1020/1021 tube in so cali? :roll:

ROBERTK said:
BLAW BLAW BLAW :D

the Question that stands still... Ron tell us where to get the best deal on 1020/1021 tube in so cali? :roll:

For me, Totten Tube. :D

--ron

Benner Metal
1220 S. State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92831

Borrmann Metal Center
110 West Olive
Burbank, CA 91502-1895

Scheu Steel Co.
P.O. Box 250
Upland, CA 91786

Might want to try some of these companies if your buying a substantial quantity.

olympic4x4tech said:
Benner Metal
1220 S. State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92831

I found them to be about 50% more $$ then tubular steel on the last order of 300' and 200' as I mentioned up there a few post. They may have just not liked me, as I am just that type of guy.. :wierd:

We do have a acount with cal steel but its a national acount and has to be huge bulk orders and we dont have room to store that much steel and still store the cranes we have in repair, but they are the only source we have for some of the stuff (some really light weight and imposible to work with crap that is way way way expensive) we need for the german cranes we have, (they are like a mercedes to fix....expensive as hell, but run like a tonka....gota push it or it sits there lol)

thanks for the leads guys.

I need to get a few small sections of tube to make some spacers, anyone know a place in OC that could take care of that?

Back