• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:10 swap

89XJPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Just had an Idea today not sure how it would work just need some opinions, Thinking budget minded couldnt I take 4:10s from a yj d30 and swap them into my d30? I'm swaping an 8.8 in this weekend and need to match the front gear. let me know what your thoughts are of any better ideas?

You'd need to set up used gears, but yes, you could do that. You won't be able to simply unbolt from one and bolt into the other if that is what you are asking.

You still need to buy an install kit, and if you're asking this question, pay a professional to do the install. You'll save maybe $130 on a $600 operation. :)

What you could do is find a 4 cyl XJ in the junkyard that has 4.10's and swap the entire front end into your jeep.

What you could do is find a 4 cyl XJ in the junkyard that has 4.10's and swap the entire front end into your jeep.

x2 price of the axle and the time to swap it.

Like already mentioned, it'd actually be easier to just swap the whole D30. You should be able to find a non-disco axle too. (Assuming you currently have a disco)

At least around here, finding a 4cyl XJ in the junkyard is like finding a piece of the true cross. It just doesn't happen. At least, not to me!

Thanks for the replys! I work for a place that all we do is part out jeeps Xjs YJ's Zjs and some cjs stuff, this is why i asked about swaping the yj gears because we have a set. I also have a friend that wil set up the gears for nothing who is a certified ASE master tech..

As far as the 4cyl Xjs go I have never even seen one in my life. I guess there arent too many on longisland?

I've got a set of 4.10 gears from a 4 cylinder YJ and an 8.8 waiting to go into my rig. I know another guy who is planning the same swap.

My friend came across two YJ's with 4 cylinder engines at PAP while the XJ 4 cyl axle seems to be much more elusive.

Thanks for the replys! I work for a place that all we do is part out jeeps Xjs YJ's Zjs and some cjs stuff, this is why i asked about swaping the yj gears because we have a set. I also have a friend that wil set up the gears for nothing who is a certified ASE master tech..

As far as the 4cyl Xjs go I have never even seen one in my life. I guess there arent too many on longisland?
If you can get them set up for free go for it. Just do yourself a favor and get the full install kit for the sake of longevity and reliability.

possibly, depends on what your current gear ratio is...if it is not at least 3.73, then yes, you will need a new carrier.

Back