PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey vs. optima vs. orbital

Mike1331
December 28th, 2009, 11:49
So I got a 100 dollar gift cert to Amazon, I’ve decided to put that towards a decent starting battery. I need to keep it under $200, so I won’t be able to afford a 1200 or higher. I do plan on running 4 soltek lights fairly soon but no winch or fatty stereo so I’m hoping a decent starting battery will suffice I’ve read over several threads and it seems odyssey has a better rep around here. How many of you have run all and prefer one over the other? Did any one take the beatings our off road rigs give better than the other? Optima’s look tough but that says nothing about actual use. I’m very concerned about the battery being able to take the rigors of off road use and bumps as with a lot of us, I’m VERY hard on my rig with desert missions and what not.
I think I’ll get this one
http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC925LMJ-Free-Shipping/dp/B0026PEJWM/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1262026558&sr=1-25
It has a width of 5” and a length of 6 5/8” so it should fit in the stock box location. It seems decently priced for a 925.

rocknxj
December 28th, 2009, 12:06
Try summitracing.com or your local Riebes automotive for prices of an Optima red top and compare that with Amazon. Also see if there is a rebate available from Optima. I bought one a few months ago and took advantage of the $25 rebate.

I like the additional side posts for accessories on both of my red tops and they have never failed me. Tie it down properly and it will work well for you and your planned use.

ADVNTURR
December 28th, 2009, 12:08
I can't speak for the other brands, but I have personally had very good luck with my Optima red tops. I'm on my second one now, the first one lasted ~6.5 years and got put through some pretty brutal North Country NY winters. The only times it ever failed to start the Jeep were 2 instances when I left the headlights on all day while skiing and then the 3rd time which was the day I replaced it. I had it start the Jeep down as low as -40 and once almost welded someone's jumper cables when I let them incorrectly hook them up.

As for lights, as long as you wire them up properly with the right gauge wires and relays, I don't see any problems from the battery's perspective. I run a set of Lightforce 170's and a set of Hella 550s (one of these days it'll be another set of Lightforces) along with my IPF H4s and have never seen anything adverse.

I'm sure others will chime in with some less stellar reviews of the Optimas, but I'm a happy customer.

M4Madness
December 28th, 2009, 12:15
I have a red top Optima in my XJ and have no complaints. It always starts regardless of the weather, and recently survived a collision with a deer that shoved my radiator back into it.

hagermanfolley
December 28th, 2009, 12:20
I have had two optima red tops. First one lasted a year, went on a fishing trip to mexico, and forgot to close hatch tight. Light was on for a week, whe I got back the optima could not be saved, that said it was replaced for free with a new red top. Has worked flawlessly now for 2.5 years and I beat the crap out of my heap on the trail

JNickel101
December 28th, 2009, 12:33
x200 on Optima Red Top - had one since Jan 2006....was drained completely once b/c SOMEone (ex) didn't close her door properly - put it on a trickle charger for about 24 hours and it has worked great since (this was in Aug 2008). Never had any problems with it - it's jumped plenty of other vehicles in an instant, never had problems in cold starts or hot weather.

bluedragon436
December 28th, 2009, 12:46
I am going to say I would def. go with the Red Top... cause if it wasn't worth running, the USAF and other branches of the military wouldn't trust them in most of their vehicles, and almost all of their equipment.. I will def. be rolling with a Red Top... or if I can afford it I would rather get the Yellow Top like I had in my car... wish I had never lost that battery...

NW-ZJ-SCOTT
December 28th, 2009, 12:54
I like my redtop so far.. But what i have noticed is, If you let it drain down to far, it needs to be slowly recharged for like 2 days via trickle charger. Jumpstarts and 20min bursts from the alturnater does not "Charge" it like a normal battery

Mike1331
December 28th, 2009, 13:27
good to see optima is still pleasing peeps. I'll probably just end up with a red top as it seems they have the most cold cranking amps for the buck compared to everybody else. Prob just end up with an 800

austinaubinoe
December 28th, 2009, 13:33
didn't the USAF also trust K and N air filters? I run a yellow top in my Cherokee, just replaced the first one that I installed in 2004.

sunburned
December 28th, 2009, 14:10
Why a red top? Those are starting batteries. Get a yellow top that is for deep cycle and cranking power. If you have a winch, lights and other electronics, you'll want a yellow top. I've also heard plenty of good things about Odyssey batteries.

old_man
December 28th, 2009, 14:21
My yellow top optima went crappy in two years. I bought a red top Exide Orbital for much cheaper and it is about 1.5 years old with no issues.

KSXJ
December 28th, 2009, 14:29
I had good luck with my yellow top in my XJ, but this red top that I have in the YJ is not so good. But don't know the history of this red top but done some research recently and have not seen any good review of recently purchased optimas. I was looking at a odessy and when I came accross some some articles talking about a sears battery that is an odessy batter but cheaper and found a local wheeler that has used one with good results so I am going to try it once I get a little more money saved up.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=platinum

OverlandZJ
December 28th, 2009, 14:40
Lots of dissatisfied Optima owners since Johnson Controls bought the brand and transferred manufacturing to Mexico, rumors are use of recycled lead and subpar manufacturing.

The Sears DieHard Platinum is the good sears battery made by Odyssey. This will be my next batt.

Deka is another brand i'v read good reviews of.

I had good luck with my yellow top in my XJ, but this red top that I have in the YJ is not so good. But don't know the history of this red top but done some research recently and have not seen any good review of recently purchased optimas. I was looking at a odessy and when I came accross some some articles talking about a sears battery that is an odessy batter but cheaper and found a local wheeler that has used one with good results so I am going to try it once I get a little more money saved up.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=platinum

FlexdXJ
December 28th, 2009, 14:53
The die hard platinum is just a rebadged odyssey. I got mine for right around 200 bucks.

Mike1331
December 28th, 2009, 15:09
interesting info overland, i think its safe to say we'd all like to see a made in usa stamp over a made in mexico

Fidget360
December 28th, 2009, 15:16
Lots of dissatisfied Optima owners since Johnson Controls bought the brand and transferred manufacturing to Mexico, rumors are use of recycled lead and subpar manufacturing.

I was talking to the guy at American Battery where the shop I used to work for got all our batteries, and he told me that the Odyssey batteries are made by the same company that made the optima batteries before they were bought out. I personally run an Optima yellow top, but that's because I got it for free.:viking: I've had it drain completely because I let it sit for like 2 weeks in sub-zero temps, but I put it on a good (but not too good) charger for a day and it was back up to par. I got it for free cuz it had been returned to American Battery as a core when a cart racing place in town bought all new batteries. so it was like a year old when I got it a year ago. currently still going strong.

austinaubinoe
December 28th, 2009, 15:31
yep think I heard something about Optima being made in mexico aswell. Ill see how this new one goes. but truthfully, with the warranty, I would rather pay $200 for an optima then a sears battery.

Overland XJ----funny you say Deka is a good battery, the PO of my cherokee put one in, and I swapped it for the optima out of my TJ. Always thought it was just a cheapo battery, so I bought a used redtop for my wrangler.

NW-ZJ-SCOTT
December 28th, 2009, 15:36
Overland XJ----funny you say Deka is a good battery, the PO of my cherokee put one in, and I swapped it for the optima out of my TJ. Always thought it was just a cheapo battery, so I bought a used redtop for my wrangler.
The "sears" battery has a 4 year No questions asked warranty aswell FYI

ocean_jet
December 28th, 2009, 15:57
I'm on my second Duralast battery. My first lasted 7 years with no issues at all.

For the price, I cannot imagine buying any other battery.

Edit:
It is a Johnson Controls battery also... so I don't know if they moved manufacture of them to Mexico or not. I've had the new one for about a year and a half so far with no issues.

derrickdrew17
December 28th, 2009, 21:14
Odyssey all the way. my next one will be the sears battery made by Odyssey
DieHard Platinum

One note guys.. if you do get this battery.. Don't use the side Terminals they are very weak... They are known to break connection. I have read about it.. But its still a good battery.

JRW7072009
December 28th, 2009, 21:43
I was told at work (4 Wheel Parts) that Optima did move there plant from Colorado to Mexico. I also have been told the the quality went down for a bit, while they got settled but now they are back up to what they where before the move. I have seen a few Optima come back with warranty issues over the last while, but I have not seen any lately. I would by a Yellow top if I where in need of a new battery.

BlueCuda
December 29th, 2009, 17:27
Hmmm I will have to check if Johnson controls moved that plant to Mexico tommorow. I haven't seen any made in Mexico stickers on our Optima Product but I can't say I have paid any attention. At work our Optimas are being shipped from Missouri but that doesn't meant they were made there.

JRW7072009
December 29th, 2009, 20:12
I know as a fact that the plant where they did the red tops was move to Mexico, they even asked the employees to go down and train the new employees. There where a lot of people that lost there jobs cause of it. It was in the news, I know there was a thread on Pirate4x4 about it and there where a few people that were really mad over it. I will look for the thread.

JRW7072009
December 29th, 2009, 20:24
Also if you look on there website for the warranty info it asks you when you purchased the battery. Cause since they moved they have changed the warranty to. its not as good as it was. Red tops where 36 month and prorated after that and now there 36 months only.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/warranty/

karstic
December 29th, 2009, 20:35
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244705247&postcount=25

Some good info on Optima Batteries and battery tech in general.

jeeperjohn
December 30th, 2009, 09:06
I know as a fact that the plant where they did the red tops was move to Mexico, they even asked the employees to go down and train the new employees. There where a lot of people that lost there jobs cause of it. It was in the news, I know there was a thread on Pirate4x4 about it and there where a few people that were really mad over it. I will look for the thread.
Made in mexico....for the fail :thumbdn:

jmop
December 30th, 2009, 09:19
Says right in the documentation that they are built in Mexico. At the bottom under "Manufacturing Location".

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/specs/34_78.pdf

Darky
December 30th, 2009, 09:41
I bought the Sears battery, same one linked I believe. It's the Diehard Platinum, and it's just a touch bigger than the stock battery. I had to cut one lip off the battery tray, but the clamp still works. One of these days, I'll get/make a battery tray to fit it properly. I use the side posts for my winch, top posts for everything else. I like it so far, definitely has plenty of cranking power for the 4.0.

60anny
December 30th, 2009, 10:04
Despite the horrid "made in mexico" sticker, my yellow top is nice for winching and cranks her over well, even in frigid colorado temps.

benulis55
December 30th, 2009, 12:12
I am going to say I would def. go with the Red Top... cause if it wasn't worth running, the USAF and other branches of the military wouldn't trust them in most of their vehicles, and almost all of their equipment.. I will def. be rolling with a Red Top... or if I can afford it I would rather get the Yellow Top like I had in my car... wish I had never lost that battery...

you are wrong my friend....Odyssey is a subset of ENERSYS, which is a supplier to the US armed forces....submarine batteries, tanks batteries, MRAPS, etc. They are also used in nuclear power plants as the backup batteries. Odyssey batteries are the best, but they arent cheap either

for example, the Sears Die Hard platnium is made by Odyssey, and they actually had to lower their standards to meet what Sears wanted....so Sears said just make your "lowest" battery.....so a Die Hard platnium is the same as an Odyssey

i only know all this because I have a relative in Odyssey corporate

all my vehicle have Odysseys in them

jeeperjohn
December 31st, 2009, 08:57
you are wrong my friend....Odyssey is a subset of ENERSYS, which is a supplier to the US armed forces....submarine batteries, tanks batteries, MRAPS, etc. They are also used in nuclear power plants as the backup batteries. Odyssey batteries are the best, but they arent cheap either

for example, the Sears Die Hard platnium is made by Odyssey, and they actually had to lower their standards to meet what Sears wanted....so Sears said just make your "lowest" battery.....so a Die Hard platnium is the same as an Odyssey

i only know all this because I have a relative in Odyssey corporate

all my vehicle have Odysseys in them
So given this insight, is the sears platinum battery equivalent to buying an odyssey battery or is the Odyssey much better?

Talyn
December 31st, 2009, 10:36
you are wrong my friend....Odyssey is a subset of ENERSYS, which is a supplier to the US armed forces....

x2. I wouldn't run a Optima or Exide Orbital again. I've had two Optimas fail in the past with in 1-2 years of purchase. I went with and Exide. That lasted a little over a year. Napa swapped it out with an Optima. We'll see how long that lasts. I would go with Odyssey or try a Braille battery.

Also, the Optima fit better than the Orbital, being lower in height.

Justpunchit
December 31st, 2009, 10:42
I got two yellow tops in my jeep, a red top in my car and a brand new red top in my other jeep... and If they didn't keep getting warrantied I'd have all Odyssey batteries in by now. Optima went way down hill. Thanks Johnson Controls.

snail
December 31st, 2009, 12:24
i had a red top in my old rig and ran 2 KC daylighters and 2 6x9s with no problem. never had a problem cranking no matter the weather. i have an older yellowtop in my trail rig now and works perfectly. it sat for over a month in this cold while i was at school and started immediately with no sluggishness.

i just put in new yellowtops into my DD xj and my dads xj yesterday. we'll see if they give us any problems (manufactured 11/09)

waxer
December 31st, 2009, 13:30
I'm in the market for a new battery and wanted to know if this particular Sears Die Hard Platinum is the right one for an XJ.

It's a group size 34.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Automotive+Batteries

Thanks

Johnnie Walker
December 31st, 2009, 13:46
For the price, I would recommend a Costco battery, I have the 1000ca battery and it cost under 80$

Markos
December 31st, 2009, 14:08

FYI - pretty much any Mopar replacement part that you get from the dealer is made in Mexico...

I've had my Red Top since 2000. I've drained it a number of times, and it's survived multiple cold Chicago/Denver winters and Phoenix summers.

xcm
December 31st, 2009, 14:09
i just put in new yellowtops into my DD xj and my dads xj yesterday. we'll see if they give us any problems (manufactured 11/09)

this in seeking the truth, but is it safe to say these are both mexican made? my local autozones still stock ones from aurora, but im guessing theyre whats left of the local stock??

i'd much rather buy from mexico than china.... at least mexico is closer, and not even gonna get into the whole socio/political thing...

jeeperjohn
December 31st, 2009, 14:32
FYI - pretty much any Mopar replacement part that you get from the dealer is made in Mexico...

I've had my Red Top since 2000. I've drained it a number of times, and it's survived multiple cold Chicago/Denver winters and Phoenix summers.
Yeah, I know. I make parts when I can but sometimes you have no choice.

Talyn
December 31st, 2009, 18:40
i had a red top in my old rig and ran 2 KC daylighters and 2 6x9s with no problem.

Wow.. thats a heavy load.

JRW7072009
December 31st, 2009, 18:50

Manufacturing Location:
Enertec Exports S. de R.L. de C.V.
RFC: EEX020516KU2
Avenida. del Parque No. 2155
Monterrey Technology Park
Cienega de Flores, N.L. 65550
MEXICO
Phone: 52 (81) 81542300
Fax: 52 (81) 81542301

OptimaJim
January 7th, 2010, 07:22
Mike1331, if you are running auxiliary lights and tend to be tough on your battery, a YellowTop is a better option than a RedTop. All of our new RedTops and YellowTops carry three-year replacement warranties.

My primary purpose here is to be a resource to answer technical questions about fitment, proper applications, charging and maintenance. I can, however, confirm both that we have moved manufacturing to a new, state-of-the-art facility in Mexico, and that our most recent product quality is the best it has ever been. We still use 99.99% pure, virgin lead and many of the “bad” batteries being returned to us are deeply-discharged and work fine when properly recharged.

Most battery chargers will not recharge any battery that has been discharged below 10.5 volts and most flooded lead-acid batteries will not recover from such a state. An AGM battery, like Optima, can be recovered from deep discharges using a standard charger. Instructions for recharging deeply-discharged Optimas can be found at this link-
http://optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php#charging (http://optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php#charging)

If you have any other questions about our batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

GrimmJeeper
January 7th, 2010, 08:46
I have to add here that I used the charging procedure layed out here to SAVE my 6 year old optima yellow top. i put my XJ in storage and after 2 months the battery was completely dead, i have a 1 amp draw that i havent been able to track down yet.

anyways, it was DEAD dead, read 2.3v on a volt meter, so i threw it on the charger at my shop. after a couple hours nothing, it wouldnt take a charge at all so i figured it was bad and bought a new battery. thank god im a lazy bastard and never got around to tossing the optima. i just stuck it in a corner in my garage and piled crap on top of it. Jim posted this info in a thread in the SoCal chapter and I figured I had to try it out.

I couldn't believe it, it WORKED. my optima is from 2003, i used it in my XJ for 4 years running 4 100w lights and 4k watts of stereo equipment (which is now gone, flame all you want ;)) and then it was sitting in my garage dead for 2 years. I charged it up by hooking it up with another good battery as Jim's link suggests and it charged it right up.

Thanks for coming in to give us the info Jim :cheers:

FlexdXJ
January 7th, 2010, 08:49
Mike1331, if you are running auxiliary lights and tend to be tough on your battery, a YellowTop is a better option than a RedTop. All of our new RedTops and YellowTops carry three-year replacement warranties.

My primary purpose here is to be a resource to answer technical questions about fitment, proper applications, charging and maintenance. I can, however, confirm both that we have moved manufacturing to a new, state-of-the-art facility in Mexico, and that our most recent product quality is the best it has ever been. We still use 99.99% pure, virgin lead and many of the “bad” batteries being returned to us are deeply-discharged and work fine when properly recharged.

Most battery chargers will not recharge any battery that has been discharged below 10.5 volts and most flooded lead-acid batteries will not recover from such a state. An AGM battery, like Optima, can be recovered from deep discharges using a standard charger. Instructions for recharging deeply-discharged Optimas can be found at this link-
http://optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php#charging (http://optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php#charging)

If you have any other questions about our batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine

Glad to see someone here to shed light on this from the inside instead of people just saying what they have heard. I have one comment though. The company I work for(temporarily laid off from) makes diesel engines and does quite well but I can tell you from experience that our plant in Mexico is full of crooks! They send us mismatched parts back all the time and blame it on us when I look at them on a gage I can tell that there is no way we sent them down like that! Now Jim, unless you are there at that plant all the time how can you ensure that this is not happening to us as your customers(or prospective customers)?

jeeperjohn
January 7th, 2010, 10:10

Jim McIlvaine
Jim, I appreciate your input on this subject. I realize you did not make the decision to move manufacturing to mexico. I believe you when you say that there are strict quality controls in place at your new facility. That being said, there are too many accounts of people having red tops that were manufactured in Mexico go bad on them. I understand that many if not all of these were probably abused in some way.
My issue is one of basic corporate responsibility. I truly have a problem with a company that turns it's back on it's employees to save money. Worse is that these companies are depriving our government of much needed tax revenue and instead enriching the corrupt and disfunctional government of Mexico. I must say I would feel better about this if manufacturing hed been moved to Canada but I still get pissed off about outsourcing of jobs. I would consider buying another Optima if I need one (my current Optima red top has been rock solid reliable) but it carries far less weight in the decision making process than it would have in the past. Again, thank you for your input and great advice regarding charging/ recovering an Optima battery.

OverlandZJ
January 7th, 2010, 12:03
Glad to see someone here to shed light on this from the inside instead of people just saying what they have heard. I have one comment though. The company I work for(temporarily laid off from) makes diesel engines and does quite well but I can tell you from experience that our plant in Mexico is full of crooks! They send us mismatched parts back all the time and blame it on us when I look at them on a gage I can tell that there is no way we sent them down like that! Now Jim, unless you are there at that plant all the time how can you ensure that this is not happening to us as your customers(or prospective customers)?

Admittedly, i have never owned an Optima.. never really had the need till i started adding a Fridge and the like. Then i started reading about Optima's..

What i have found is numerous complaints of failure, and a general loss of trust in this product. I do however believe some of the returns are as stated.. discharge and improper charging technique. (Thanks a ton for that info BTW Jim) But also numerous of overnight failures for no apparent reason.

Returns for testing and Warranty hassles are another gripe of unsatisfied owners.

I understand Jim having an interest in protecting the company he works for, and his title seems to imply he's an online image protector for Johnson Controls. However, i know of another JC employee who posts "what he's allowed" by corporate. In his postings the higher ups claim a higher percentage rate of failure on higher gross sales... and not on inferior manufacturing. For what it's worth this JC employee will not run an Optima battery.

Flex, although everything i have posted is "what i have heard" that doesnt discount the sheer number of posts by owners who share their experiences as being the source of my opinion.

What it boils down to for me is the number of owners who are not satisfied with their purchase compared to other brands, the outsourcing of jobs, and the apparent higher price of a lesser product.

Mike1331
January 7th, 2010, 14:48
Jim can you give me a part number for a yellow top that will fit in a stock location 87 cherokee 4.0l. I'm thinking thats going to be a deep cycle kranking battery...

My friend is happy with his yellow top and i don't even think he uses it right. he puts his lights on the top post and puts the alt/starter cables on the side post. Thats how the prev. owner did it, i told him to switch it but he said it works fine so he won't change it.

FlexdXJ
January 7th, 2010, 15:12
Flex, although everything i have posted is "what i have heard" that doesnt discount the sheer number of posts by owners who share their experiences as being the source of my opinion.

I completely understand. Not saying every one is lying but someone from the company posting lets me know that they care about their customers at least somewhat. They do things sloppy down in Mexico is all I am saying. I have never owned an optima my self but I have friends that have some of the older ones and they are still working great!

GrimmJeeper
January 7th, 2010, 16:18
Jim can you give me a part number for a yellow top that will fit in a stock location 87 cherokee 4.0l. I'm thinking thats going to be a deep cycle kranking battery...

My friend is happy with his yellow top and i don't even think he uses it right. he puts his lights on the top post and puts the alt/starter cables on the side post. Thats how the prev. owner did it, i told him to switch it but he said it works fine so he won't change it.

this is the yellowtop I have and it fits just fine: #D34/78, and it won't hurt anything using both the top and side posts.

hot_rod_hooligans
January 7th, 2010, 18:07
Another vote for the Odyssey battery, I know a few TJs that are running them and they haven't had any issues what so ever. Odyssey will be my next battery.

SeansXJ
January 7th, 2010, 18:26
Orbital's are good batteries, i have ran mine for 2 yers with no issues and i run 1600 watts of stereo whenever im driving. hell there all good batteries you mentioned. Go with a red top and be done with it.

Sean

OptimaJim
January 13th, 2010, 15:11
Mike1331, unfortunately, Optima doesn’t offer an exact-fit replacement battery for every application, including your Jeep. However, you can measure the dimensions of your existing stock battery to see if there’s an Optima that will work for your vehicle. Below is a link to the product specification page where you can find exact dimensions for Optima YellowTop batteries:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php (http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php)

You can also check with other guys who are running Optimas in their Cherokees, to see how they did it. If you are using an Optima battery in a custom application, it is important to consider the following:
· Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood.
· Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
· Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals cannot come in contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short.We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using. Do not connect a winch to the side terminals.
· Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
· Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
· Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

As mentioned previously, the side posts on our batteries are intended to be used for connecting starter cables. A winch should only be attached to the top posts.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback about our batteries and I will be sure to forward them to the appropriate parties at Optima. GrimmJeeper, I’m glad to hear you were able to recover your YellowTop.

Jim McIlvaine
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries (http://www.facebook.com/optimabatteries)

crazydave
January 13th, 2010, 15:42
I used a red top for over 3 years but it started not to hold a charge. I trickled it everytime I went on a run. Luckly I helped a friend clean up a warehouse where I saw bluetops pushed in the corner. I asked why are they there and was told they ran the forklifts. I asked can I have them and was told yes so I took them home and charged both of them. It did take a couple of days but I now ran a Bluetop for over a year running my winch, kc's and such. My rig is not my daily driver so it appears to work well for me.

BlueCuda
January 13th, 2010, 17:56
The regular Dual Terminal 34/78 Optima fits in the stock group 58 tray in my 97 XJ great. I don't have the factory hold down though so I don't know if it would work but I am sure it would. I currently use a monster zip tie to hold the battery down :D.

2001XJ
January 13th, 2010, 23:57
I'm in the market for a new battery and wanted to know if this particular Sears Die Hard Platinum is the right one for an XJ.

It's a group size 34.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Automotive+Batteries

Thanks

get this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=p4

I have this, fits perfectly in my 2001 (sure it doesnt really matter the year of your jeep but I could be wrong) and am nothing but satisified and as the thread states its an Odyssey.

BlueCuda
January 14th, 2010, 04:55
The 00s and 01s spec the larger group 34 battery so they will be an easy for either brand.

If you get a battery at sears check the age. I have seen some old stuff on the shelves at alot of places. I work for Interstate Batteries and see other brands on our dealers shelves over one year old and sometimes two years old. Interstate Rotates there product including the Optimas they sell every three months from the dealers shelves. Guaranteed Fresh!

jeepsrock
February 10th, 2010, 09:08
Anyone know where to get a Odyssey battery in the LA/Socal area for my XJ at a reasonable price ?

I need to get one in the next few days.

Thanks
Pete

OverlandZJ
February 10th, 2010, 09:27
Anyone know where to get a Odyssey battery in the LA/Socal area for my XJ at a reasonable price ?

I need to get one in the next few days.

Thanks
Pete

DieHard Platinum at Sears.. it's an Odyssey.

FlexdXJ
February 10th, 2010, 09:39
DieHard Platinum at Sears.. it's an Odyssey.

Yes it is and in my 97, the group 34 battery doesn't fit just right. They have the Die hard platinum in the correct size for XJ's I believe its 58. I got the 34/78 but i need to trim my battery try so it will sit all the way down in the tray.

keep0njeepin0n
September 27th, 2010, 08:44
I know this is kinda old, but thought I'd share. So, I'm ready to start looking at a new battery. I was going to go with the Diehard Platinum (rebadged odyssey) but after shipping and tax it was like $229....so I started looking aroung again. I found this! Odyssey battery for $190, and after shipping (tax only to CA residents) it comes to $210!!!

http://www.absbattery.com/Odyssey/Odyssey.htm

keep0njeepin0n
September 27th, 2010, 08:49
Nevermind...appears as though when you go to checkout their website is down. Also tried clicking on "contact us" and it didn't work either....figures it was too good to be true!

keep0njeepin0n
September 27th, 2010, 15:02
Well ok, so I found another one....this one is $250, free shipping. To me, I'd rather spend the extra $20 and get an actual odyssey branded battery, than the diehard.

http://www.autopartsdealer.com/odyssey_drycell_batteries-p347272-p.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=APD347272

derrickdrew17
September 27th, 2010, 20:46
Don't forget the Odyssey and Diehard both have weak sidepost terminals. Do not hook up your winch or starter to it.. Its been told that you can burn them out...

jeeperjohn
September 28th, 2010, 08:09
I just bought an Optima from Costco for my Ford Escape and it had no indication whatsoever of where it was made. The decision was easy because Costco is very good about accepting returned items if it fails withing 3 years it should be replaced with no questions asked.

NorCalChris
September 28th, 2010, 08:33
our napa stores over here carry odyssey and optimas. have you checked at the parts stores?

keep0njeepin0n
September 28th, 2010, 14:39
our napa stores over here carry odyssey and optimas. have you checked at the parts stores?

Yes, there are NO odyssey dealers here in this area...closest one to me being about 1.5 hrs away.