• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob in need of shock guidance

Swifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all! I've done some reading up and it seems when it comes to stock replacement shocks the bilstein 5100 (a bit pricy for budget), and Monroe Sensatrak are suggested quite often.
I've seen little on KYB's: Gas-a-just or Monomax shock. (TireRack has a good price on them now)

I've got a 1996 Cherokee Sport w/ 130k. All stock, no lift, and I'm keeping it that way for the foreseeable future. The original shocks are DONE and let the rear axle bounce and dance all over the place so they gotta go. I'm hoping to keep it under $200 for everything, and I'll be doing the work myself. (PB Blaster, BFH, and torch ready) I'd just like some suggestions for a somewhat tough shock that will keep those axles planted to the road over broken pavement without beating me or the Jeep to death. So decent ride quality, but I'm not expecting it to ride like a car. This is my bad weather DD/beater truck and I often drive with reckless disregard of speed bumps, curbs, potholes, dirt roads, open fields, small children, and zombies.

I'd greatly appreciate any input. And if you have something used in good shape I could use, lets talk.

Oh, and request pics of said Jeep:

Just pulled out of a mud hole
Photo0306.jpg

Playing in the snow. That's not smoke, just the effects of ice on hot exhaust pipes
Photo0565.jpg

All dressed up for Halloween
PICT3225.jpg

I just put on Bilsteins shocks on a 2000 Sport (stock), about $239 delivered in 3 days from PartsGeek.com (price match method and chatting to them over the phone, called haggling)

I like the ride on them so far both on and off road.

w0133-1611331 rear
w0133-1611168 front

Second choice is the Monroe Sensatrac or Reflex. The Monroe is less and works really well. I have a full set on a stock 90 that rides great. The reflex is for improved stability. The SensTrac is for ride quality. I would pick the Reflex.

Second choice is the Monroe Sensatrac or Reflex. The Monroe is less and works really well. I have a full set on a stock 90 that rides great. The reflex is for improved stability. The SensTrac is for ride quality. I would pick the Reflex.

Go with the Bilsteins
I wore out a set of Monroes in the front & Broke a KYB in the rear before I got smart & installed the Bilstein 5100s, Best shock I have ever run!

Go with the Bilsteins
I wore out a set of Monroes in the front & Broke a KYB in the rear before I got smart & installed the Bilstein 5100s, Best shock I have ever run!

How long did the Monroes take to wear out? I put at most 9k miles a year on the Jeep. 90% on/10% off-road.

I killed a set of the Monroes in about 7000 miles, but I was still building, and I think I ended up using them as accidental limiting straps a few times..... usually they'll last longer than that!!

How long did the Monroes take to wear out? I put at most 9k miles a year on the Jeep. 90% on/10% off-road.

I fish a section of LI NY that requires me to drive a 7 mile stretch of washboard sand road Called Burma Road, about 20 round trips is all the Monroes lasted before the trucked bounced up & down so bad the Ice cooler rack on the front was touching ground.
The rear KYBs lasted 5 more trips before the Metal sleeve was rubbing the side of the shock.
In actual miles I would estimate 7-8K.
The Bilsteins were a major improvement, I have about 40 trips on them with no signs of wear!

Great thread, as I have been thinking of shocks for 1989 XJ

What about these "Black Diamond" or Rancho 5000 and others that the Jeep off road folks sell?

Thanks,
Bob

I just recently put ranchos on my jeep, whatever the cheap ones are. Sears had them 50% off so I grabbed them for 80something for the 4. I see people complaining the ranchos are too stiff but I think they are great no complaints at all.

Remember that shocks can over heat.. and sometimes the seals get so hot they dump all the fluid.. this could explain some premature failure for those of you flying down fire roads for long periods of time.

Great thread, as I have been thinking of shocks for 1989 XJ

What about these "Black Diamond" or Rancho 5000 and others that the Jeep off road folks sell?

Thanks,
Bob

Not even comparable to bilsteins!

I have the monroe sensatracs on mine, iIve had them for about 20k miles and they seem to be riding just the same as they were after they broke in some. I do not off road terribly hard,more like woods road driving.... mostly a street rig. Hitting big potholes and curbs and stuff they hold up well. Coming from my worn out OEM shocks, these ride ROUGHER over uneven pavement, and increased the handling tremendously by getting rid of the "we are about to go over" lean the truck had, when cornering. ALso when hitting pot holes and things like that, the rear end does not kick out sideways nearly as bad. For the price you can't beat them, honestly though i wish they were a bit smoother on the road! i kept hearing how smooth they were, but these really tightened the ride up. the old OEM shocks rode like a caddy. But really floaty with no feeling of control. These are much tighter and provide a much much more controlled feeling ride.

BTW rockauto.com has both the monroe reflex, and the sensa-tracs front or rear for $30 a pop

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also looking at these Skyjacker Nitro 8000 at team cherokee for $200, but maybe I should look at few others?

Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Bob

Back